Favorite 60's rock band....

Brandon Burke

Name your favorite 60's rock band.....  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want to know why I am just now seeing this thread! :wacko:

THE BEATLES!!!!

everyone else! :P

Seriously, the Beatles when I discovered them (After John Lennon died) spoiled most rock bands, I expected all the songs on other albums to be well crafted "pop" tunes like the Beatles, they were not.

I discovered the Doors, later in the 80's and they would be #2. Jim Morrison has just about the best pure voice in Rock, IMO. I like a fair bit of the Stones, but don't own any cds! Someday! :rolleyes: If this was about the 70's, Led Zep would be 1, but they only had 2 lps in the 60s, great as they were.

Any Beau Brummels fans? I only have the 3 cd set from Sundazed,(got it for just a few bucks) unreleased takes, rarites, etc...Allmusic acts like it is only for serious fans of the band, but I liked it plenty, and will dig further...someday! :rolleyes:

Edited by BERIGAN

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, B - check it out:

d149049a9lf.jpg

Before forming the Family Stone, Sly Stone gained a lot of experience in the studio as the virtual in-house producer for the San Francisco-based Autumn label. The sessions he worked on during this era (performed by both himself and other artists) have appeared on numerous scattershot compilations. This 28-song anthology is the most comprehensive and intelligently assembled of these, including Sly solo performances, Sly collaborations with Billy Preston, and obscure soul-pop sides by Bobby Freeman, Gloria Scott, George & Teddy, and others. Over half of the cuts were previously unissued, and the lengthy liner notes provide an in-depth overview of his early accomplishments. Only serious collectors should seek this out, though. While Autumn afforded Stone the opportunity to experiment in the studio and devise various primitive collisions of soul and pop, his compositional, instrumental, and vocal skills were still in a very formative (if very promising) stage. Much of this is routinely pleasant, if lightly eccentric, period pop-soul, with occasional bursts of inspiration like Sly's wild scat vocals on "Scat Swim," and the folk-rockish "As I Get Older," and a few songs that would be reworked for inclusion on the first couple of Family Stone albums. — Richie Unterberger AMG

Autumn was, of course, the Brummells' first label, and, yes, Sly produced them. Not sure if he was their ONLY producer there, but fersure he produced "Laugh, Laugh".

The Beatles are an easy first choice for me. I would also have to second Bev's comments about the Byrds -- their early albums are a major piece of work. (Though they're all a little short!) Other bands I really like from that period are Traffic, the Who, the Band, and Pink Floyd.

I like Cream, but feel like they never reached their full potential as a band.

Guy

The toss-up for me was between the Byrds and the VU. Chose the former because I don't like "none of the above." Of course, the Thirteenth Floor Elevators blow my mind every time, as do the Monks, early Dead, some of the Who and the Stones. It's basically a tough choice... like, who is your favorite BN recording artist 1958-1967? Well...

I would argue the Softs were of far more importance in the '70s than they were in the '60s. They really became unique with "Third," "Fourth," and "Five." I rarely put on the Probe records, even though they are pretty good.

And what do you do with folk-rock like Pearls Before Swine?

Does anybody have that newish Zombies collection? I hear that's really good.

Are you talking about Zombie Heaven, the box set? Other than a simple greatest hits CD I'm not sure of anything else out there of that sort.

That Zombie Heaven box rules, by the way. I think it might be OOP by this point.

Zombie Heaven is absolutely essential for any real Zombies fan. However, I think it IS OOP, sadly. In fact, it wasn't easy to get when it first came out! How sick is that?

The MGs/Mar-Keys/Stax house band. OK, I know that this stretches some peoples idea of 'rock', not to mention 'band', but stretching is good for you! I know the Funk Brothers/Motown house band had far more hits (backing voclists), more than all of the bands on this poll combined probably; but for my money the MGs had the perfect combination of studio band competence/versatility and garage band enthusiasm. If I were to set limits on who qualifies as a '60s rock band' it would be that they had to at least start in the AM radio/3 minute single era. If the MGs are ghettoized to a different catagory, then my choice would be the Band, if I can include their work with Dylan in the computation.

The MGs/Mar-Keys/Stax house band. OK, I know that this stretches some peoples idea of 'rock', not to mention 'band', but stretching is good for you! I know the Funk Brothers/Motown house band had far more hits (backing voclists), more than all of the bands on this poll combined probably; but for my money the MGs had the perfect combination of studio band competence/versatility and garage band enthusiasm. If I were to set limits on who qualifies as a '60s rock band' it would be that they had to at least start in the AM radio/3 minute single era. If the MGs are ghettoized to a different catagory, then my choice would be the Band, if I can include their work with Dylan in the computation.

I much prefer the Memphis sound over Motown. So I'm behind this all the way....