Favorite 60's rock band....

Brandon Burke

Name your favorite 60's rock band.....  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MGs/Mar-Keys/Stax house band.  OK, I know that this stretches some peoples idea of 'rock', not to mention 'band', but stretching is good for you!  I know the Funk Brothers/Motown house band had far more hits (backing voclists), more than all of the bands on this poll combined probably; but for my money the MGs had the perfect combination of studio band competence/versatility and garage band enthusiasm.  If I were to set limits on who qualifies as a '60s rock band' it would be that they had to at least start in the AM radio/3 minute single era.  If the MGs are ghettoized to a different catagory, then my choice would be the Band, if I can include their work with Dylan in the computation.

I much prefer the Memphis sound over Motown. So I'm behind this all the way....

"Hang 'em High", BABY! B)

Brandon & BFrank:

Thanx muchly for the secounds re the MGs. I think, ironically enuff, that one of the things that made their excellence as a backing band really stand out was the lack of quality songwriting at Stax, esp'ly early one. That and the naively straightforward production meant that the groove had to carry the records. But unlike James Brown post-Brand New Bag, they were still doing songs, naratives with melodies however simple they might be. That and they were willing to try anything, cover tunes, odd ideas for originals, weird production touches, etc. It may seem condescending to prefer R&B or R 'n R in their 'naive' stages, but I suppose that's just frustration with their never being able to get past their sophmoric phases to really live up to their promise/pretense, IMHO. (So no, unlike many here, I'm not much of a prog fan.) I even have decidedly mixed feelings re later Stax, although I'm happy to grant the excellence of the Bar Kays mk.II and other 'finger snap era' session players. Maybe we should have a seperate poll for best session/studio band?

I can't believe I missed this thread.

You guys have good taste!

For me, its Beatles (1), Byrds (2), then I'd move into the San Francisco bands like: Quicksilver Messenger Service, the Grateful Dead, Moby Grape, Jefferson Airplane, but I can't forget Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd....

I could go on for days...

This is my favorite musical era for rock.

:rsmile: