College-gate...that's what I call it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, uli said:

meanwhile treasury secretary Mnuchin has his own problems trying to do good in China

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/us/politics/mnuchin-china-trade-hollywood.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur#commentsContainer

Is there such a thing as a Hollywood do-badder?

or maybe...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

8 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

So somehow this seems to be turning into a cudgel (judging from an idiot spouting things on Fox) to attack “elitists,” liberals, “do-gooders,” and “people who hate Trump.” Call me when we start working up some indignation over the folks who’ve attacked universities and the education system repeatedly over the past few decades, consistently cut funding at the state and federal level, called for or enacted cuts in financial aid, made it easier for the private sector to rip off students (see Betsy DeVos and current administration), and in general have made it much harder for average people to send their kids to college—that is, when they haven’t devalued the concept altogether, or perpetuated the notion that people who do attend and graduate from college are part of the “elite.”  So yeah, this current story is certainly problematic, but it’s hardly the heart of the problem when it comes to access to higher education. 

Lorie Loughlin is a conservative Christian...so there goes that.

Now, this is something really  outrageous:guy lies about the size of his bass, gets hosed. 

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/bass-fisherman-charged-with-fraud-for-allegedly-cheating-during-tournament

Did anyone happen to catch the interview with Lori Loughlin's daughter that ran earlier this week on CNN?  Her name is Olivia and she's what's known in the trade as a social     media influencer.  She is also a black belt airhead.  Listen to her talk about going to USC, and then marvel at the fact that she has two million followers on YouTube who apparently hang on her every word when it come to looking good, partying hard and being the coolest kid you know.  In a word, "unbelievable." 

https://us.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2019/03/13/lori-loughlin-olivia-jade-university-southern-california-admission-scam-mxp-vpx.hln/video/playlists/top-news-videos/  

Didn't see it, but browsed other Internet coverage. The vacuity is absolutely (awesomely, even) mindblowing. But I have to wonder who's the bigger airhead: Olivia or the million-plus nitwits who "follow her on Instagram" (whatever TF that is).:blink:

Edited by T.D.

14 hours ago, catesta said:

No need to call you, just turn the channel. You can see the "indignation" of those other folks you mention every day and night on pretty much every other broadcast.

The story here is just about people that have the means to put their kids into any of the schools involved but apparently the kids did not have the grades and the parents the patience to do so. Their actions may have actually made it even harder for average people to send their kids to college. That should be what angers you, not what they are saying at Fox.

Calls for cuts in federal financial aid have been just that as funding for education has and continues to go up. in 2018 Trump's proposed budget was $59 billion +/- but he signed spending $70 billion. In 2019 it is $81 billion.

14 hours ago, catesta said:

No need to call you, just turn the channel. You can see the "indignation" of those other folks you mention every day and night on pretty much every other broadcast.

The story here is just about people that have the means to put their kids into any of the schools involved but apparently the kids did not have the grades and the parents the patience to do so. Their actions may have actually made it even harder for average people to send their kids to college. That should be what angers you, not what they are saying at Fox.

Calls for cuts in federal financial aid have been just that as funding for education has and continues to go up. in 2018 Trump's proposed budget was $59 billion +/- but he signed spending $70 billion. In 2019 it is $81 billion.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-2-37-40-PM.png

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

Cute.

You'll get no argument from me that college is way too expensive. I also would not argue that going to college is for everybody, it's not. In fact, I give the advice, young people should learn a trade, you can do every well and it's probably cost effective, pretty safe and it worked for me. Enrollments however, are up. 

Also up is financial aid. According to collegeboard.com, about two-thirds of fill time students paid for college with the help of financial aid. As for local, according to US News and World Report, for the past five years, state spending on higher education is also increasing. Of course the amount varies per state. New York is around $10k and Wyoming is around $19k.

Fed rate is 2.5% today and the average student loan rates range from 4.8% to 7.4%, so not quite 10X.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people in Germany making $50,000 a year pay an income tax around 42%, it's 12% here for Federal. So that shit would have to change and even if you tax the wealthy 60%-70%, I doubt that covers it.

Back to the news....

My original point was, this is a case of people that had the money to pay the way and chose to cheat the system to get their kids into schools they did not have the smarts for. It's still a story that needs to be told and they deserve to be punished, and yeah they probably unseated a few kids along the way that should have been admitted. That should upset people.

My secondary point was, we always here the argument of cutting education funding but more times than not, the budget goes up. Right or wrong, that is a fact. Also, universities and community colleges continue to raise tuition. Administrative costs seem to play a big part in this and I'm sure the salaries of University Presidents, coaching staffs, etc. plays a part. I mean come on, the President of NYU earns $2.5 million a year and will get $800K in annual retirement. The guy at USC, $1.5 million plus a $3.2 million bonus. Right or wrong, this shit is true.

"I'm sure the salaries of University Presidents, coaching staffs, etc. plays a part. I mean come on, the President of NYU earns $2.5 million a year and will get $800K in annual retirement. The guy at USC, $1.5 million plus a $3.2 million bonus. Right or wrong, this shit is true."

No right or wrong there - just plain wrong - presidents, administrators, and coaches

I think its the cumulative effect of more and more low-mid six figure administrators that pushes up the costs.

Since we're doing the compare/contrast thing what are the salaries for high level administrators in all these wonderful 'free' universities in old yurope?

10 hours ago, medjuck said:

So I was wondering about this...just because it appears on an Internet meme, doesn't mean it's true, y'know?  I picked the first assertion listed: "German Government: All college is tuition-free," and did a little research.  The truth, naturally, is far more complicated: https://qz.com/812200/is-free-college-possible-germany-shows-there-are-downsides-to-tuition-free-college/

And what also grinds my gears are the *coaches* who make 5x-8x as much as the presidents of the very same universities they work for.  Hell's bells, college coaches (in certain elite sports, for certain elite teams) are often **THE** single highest paid person in the entire public-sector within a given state.  My wife keeps reminding me that 90% of that salary doesn't come out of the public coffers, but rather from alumni donations to specific sports-program-funds; money that's all designated for sports-related funding (including coach salaries).  But still, we pay these coaches almost half-an-order of magnitude more than every/any other public official in the entire state?

Seems crazy to me, but it's all a big-money business, I realize.

21 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

And what also grinds my gears are the *coaches* who make 5x-8x as much as the presidents of the very same universities they work for.  Hell's bells, college coaches (in certain elite sports, for certain elite teams) are often **THE** single highest paid person in the entire public-sector within a given state.  My wife keeps reminding me that 90% of that salary doesn't come out of the public coffers, but rather from alumni donations to specific sports-program-funds; money that's all designated for sports-related funding (including coach salaries).  But still, we pay these coaches almost half-an-order of magnitude more than every/any other public official in the entire state?

Seems crazy to me, but it's all a big-money business, I realize.

That was actually quite interesting to watch you walk your way through your thought process, but your conclusion is 100% correct. Presidents aren’t the ones bringing in the whale donors. It’s Alabama football, Duke basketball, etc. 

And those presidents know they are far more expendible than the coaches running those programs. 

He wouldn’t just fake your kids’ water polo skills and pump up their SAT scores — college admissions scammer William “Rick” Singer could also fake your kid’s race.

As part of his larger scheme to get low-performing rich kids into top colleges, Singer would sometimes falsify students’ ethnicities to give them an affirmative action advantage, according to a little-reported detail from his guilty plea before a federal judge in Boston.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/15/alleged-college-scam-mastermind-even-faked-kids-ethnicities-docs-reveal/

No, I didn't. I don't think about anything about this that you do. To me it's just assholes assholing. Simple as that. That's what assholes do - they asshole.

And, you know, assholing is not off-limits in this thread, but politics is (and there really is some cleaning up due here, but I'm too busy right now), and trying to fan the flames of a dead-since Friday thread with some political trolling...nope, not having it here.