Horace Tapscott Live at IUCC

T.D.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy from Dusty Groove on Monday. Three LPs in a single-pocket sleeve. Curious as to why they moved this to 3LPs instead of the original 2LP configuration. The original had two long cuts on side be totaling about 28:30, but that's not unheard of. Now, each track has it's own side, save for the last two (one of them running only 1:58)

AMAZING music, though, no doubt about it.

Is it cut at 45rpm?

Having spoken to the person who's releasing it about a previous Nimbus reissue he did with the same approach I'm pretty certain the 3 LP format is to improve the sound quality, in his view.

I'd like to hear and see if it is an improvement on the CD that I have. Amazing it is.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Is it cut at 45rpm?

Having spoken to the person who's releasing it about a previous Nimbus reissue he did with the same approach I'm pretty certain the 3 LP format is to improve the sound quality, in his view.

I'd like to hear and see if it is an improvement on the CD that I have. Amazing it is.

It's all at 33 1/3. Nice and spacious sound.

17 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Is it cut at 45rpm?

There was an extra song from the same 1979 PAPA concert on the CD-reissue of "Live At The I.U.C.C." ("McKowsky's First Fifth"). I wonder why they didn't include that track in the new triple vinyl-set.

Actually, that same track was on the recent vinyl reissue (on the same label) of the Jesse Sharps Quintet, but that's an unrelated 1985 studio session. So they replicated the 2004 CD of the Jesse Sharps Quintet (which also included the PAPA track as a bonus) on a double album set and then reissued the PAPA concert on a triple set leaving out that track. I don't really understand that decision and even find it rather annoying.

Edited by corto maltese

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I don't have the Jesse Sharp (yet) so hadn't spotted that anomaly. It does seem a completely perverse decision. If I have a chance to ask the person responsible (he occasionally staffs a record shop I visit) I shall do.

That Jesse Sharp is really good.  I like all of the L.A.-based Nimbus West recordings I own or have heard.   Gets much dicier once they moved operations to Europe.

I've listened to it on Spotify and really enjoy it just not justified shelling out for an analogue version

Interesting, I didn't realise they came to Europe. The website was still US a few years ago when I purchased from them. When in the discography does the switch happen?

The NW originals tend to fetch noticeable prices here now, especially the Tapscott big bands

And, forgot to mention that the Creative Arts Ensemble also reissued by Outernational is great too

38 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Interesting, I didn't realise they came to Europe. The website was still US a few years ago when I purchased from them. When in the discography does the switch happen?

They recorded in Europe starting late 1984, were there for a few years.  It was one guy, Tom Albach, running the company.  I bought a bunch of CD's directly from their website a few years ago, and he fulfilled the orders himself.  The website is no longer active, but they are on bandcamp.  Here is something I found on the web at http://www.cvinyl.com/labelguides/nimbus.php

LABEL GUIDE: NIMBUS

Nimbus Records was founded in 1978 by entrepreneur Tom Albach with the intention to record the music of the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra, Horace Tapscott and members of the Union of God's Musicians and Artists Ascension (UGMAA). UGMAA and the Arkestra were founded by Los Angeles-based jazz pianist Tapscott in 1961, and the Arkestra itself went unrecorded for almost 20 years.

Nimbus was based in Los Angeles until 1985/87 when Tom Albach moved to Amsterdam in the Netherlands and started recording European artists. The label name changed to Nimbus West around 1984, and this incarnation of the label still exists today.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

There's a long-standing British classical label called Nimbus, widely known to audiophiles as having "tubby" piano sound. ^_^ Surprised that the above Nimbus didn't run into a conflict re. duplicate name.

That may be why this label changed their name to Nimbus West.

On 04/04/2019 at 4:39 PM, mjazzg said:

I don't have the Jesse Sharp (yet) so hadn't spotted that anomaly. It does seem a completely perverse decision. If I have a chance to ask the person responsible (he occasionally staffs a record shop I visit) I shall do.

Honest Jons? If it is who I think it is, he has sold me some nice vinyl in the past from there. Good stuff - must check out these Tapscott reissues.

I did get to see the Arkestra, sadly it was for Tapscott’s memorial tribute in LA. Memorable..

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...