East and West of Jazz - Duke Jordan, Sadik Hakim - Charlie Parker PLP-805

Teasing the Korean

Imagine your beloved TTK in the early 1990s, surrounded by 50-cent thrift store LP acquisitions, including jazz LPs, EZ LPs, exotica LPs, soundtracks, and anything that fell in the cracks between these genres.  

So here am I, listening to the latest haul, which includes an LP on Charlie Parker Records called East and West of Jazz.  Side 1, the "east" side, is by Hakim; side 2, the "west" side, is by Duke Jordan.  

The last track on side 1, "Little Lou," clocks in at only 2:30, and abruptly fades in the middle of a guitar solo.  

What is the story?  Did CP randomly assemble tracks by these two artists?  Is there a longer version of "Little Lou" someplace?  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

This LP is on the "Complete" Charlie Parker Records budget box set release a couple of years ago (and creating a degree of controversy here). I'll have to listen to it again when time permits to see what's up with the track you mention.

The CD sleeve and booklet erroneously list only the Duke Jordan session details for this LP (and mix up the date, indicating the Sadik Hakim date for the Jordan session) but according to Bruyninckx the entire LP was recorded specifically for CP Records, the Sadik Hakim session on 13 Feb. 1962 and the Jordan session on 22 Feb. 1962. So it's no compilation.

TTK, you really need a decent discography by now ... ;)

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

TTK, you really need a decent discography by now ... ;)

Thank you!  I prefer conversations over printed discographies, but I do appreciate your suggestion.  

Maybe there was not enough room on the LP for the rest of that track.  God knows where the CP master tapes ended up.  Probably in a landfill in north Jersey.  

32 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Maybe there was not enough room on the LP for the rest of that track. 

So your LP looks like it has no dead wax to speak of?

As for my "suggestion", getting beyond the initial hurdles of how to obtain information can make it much easier to lead targeted discussions afterwards (there will be plenty left ... ;))

I own the Membran box.  The total time for "East and West of Jazz" is 40:30, which is a full LP.  Maybe they lopped off a little of "Little Lou" for space reasons, or maybe the performance fell apart and they salvaged what they could.  BTW, on my CD, "Little Lou" is 2:40, and it does fade at the guitar solo.

Sadik Hakim (p) Eddie Wright (g) Lloyd Buchanan (b) Kalil Madi (d).  2/13/62.

Edited by mjzee

Thank you both.  Yes, side 1 clocks in at over 20 minutes, so assuming the album was available in stereo - my copy is mono - I can see why they wouldn't want it to run too long.  

Back to the topic of discographies:  Is there a good online discography that anyone could recommend, with session info, etc.?  Obviously, there are artist discographies, but I don't know how complete they are.

I suspect that a lot of the music I like, which is at least on the cusp of jazz, isn't included in a lot of jazz discographies, but I'd love to be proven wrong.