The Great Day in Harlem photo - which of them did you see live?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen 6 and just missed a few others.

2. Benny Golson

7. Johnny Griffin

29. Hank Jones

31. Horace Silver

44. Sonny Rollins

50. Milt Hinton

My biggest regret was missing Blakey on his last swing through Boston, which happened as I was just getting into Jazz. I also blew off Gerry Mulligan and Art Farmer a few times, figuring I'd see them the next time they came through. I had several chances to see Dizzy, but I just wasn't into his later recordings so I decided to skip. So may shows I skipped that I should have gone to...

Golson, Farmer, Blakey, Griffin, H. Jones, Rollins and Gillespie. Wish there were more..

Probably also caught Milt Hinton, will have to check. Ernie Wilkins as well I think.

I have Hawk’s, Jimmy Jones’ and Horace’s autographs, if that counts?

Edited by sidewinder

Diz, Bu, Monk, Buck Clayton, Charlie Mingus, Bud Freeman, Pee Wee Russell, Jimmy Rushing, Jo Jones.

Got to chat with Bud at length (as a teenager) and I was tickled that he used the same reeds as me: Rico #2, brown box. Jimmy Rushing's hand was very flabby. Monk was really out of it, poor guy; no motor control. Birks was looking after him. (I didn't see Nellie.)

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Having gotten into Jazz late (mid 90’s) I’ve unfortunately seen none of them. Though I have seen artists from that era that are not pictured. 

Gosh -- I have probably seen more musicians from that era that weren't pictured there that day:  Jimmy Smith, Lou Donaldson, Clark Terry, George Shearing, Milt Jackson, Ray Brown, Oscar Peterson, Dorothy Donegan, Stanley Turrentine, Ray Charles, Louie Bellson, Buddy Rich, Junior Mance, Dave Brubeck, Ernie Andrews, Jay McShann and Kenny Burrell for starters.  I guess some of them must have had an out-of-town gig that day.:)

Blakey (twice), McPartland, Rollins (twice).  I was scheduled to see Dizzy at Penn's Landing in 1992, but he was ill, and the band functioned as a tribute band instead.  Still remember the trumpet section - Jon Faddis and Freddie Hubbard, who were egging each other on, and Wynton Marsalis, who was having none of it.  

Marian McPartland (many times), Milt Hinton and Sonny Rollins. I would have seen Dizzy Gillespie back in the 1980s but his outdoor set was rained out.

I interviewed Marian McPartland, Milt Hinton, Sonny Rollins, Gerry Mulligan, Art Farmer, Benny Golson and Horace Silver.

I wonder if anyone on this website ever saw Bill Crump play? :D

Art Farmer (Columbia U., 1994) 

Art Blakey (Village Gate, mid-80's, with George Benson sitting in)

Buck Clayton and Jo Jones (with the Countsmen, West End Cafe, mid-70's)

Charles Mingus (on a double-bill with Ornette Coleman, NYC Newport Jazz Festival, 1972?)

Sonny Rollins (1975, 2000)

Mary Lou Williams (with Cecil Taylor)

Count Basie (Damrosch Park, Lincoln Center, NYC, a little before he passed)

5 hours ago, Dmitry said:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/amazing-photograph-jazz-history/

I've only seen two in person, the two who happen to be the last men standing today, Benny Golson and Sony Rollins. Coincidentally, both are tenor players.

A-Great-Day-In-Harlem-Art-Kane-web-optim

GDIH.jpg

Like you, I've seen only the two who are still alive--Rollins (1999 in Indianapolis) and Golson (2004 in Indianapolis).

4 hours ago, felser said:

Was it a train wreck?  I love Williams. but doesn't seem like Taylor did.

There was a prior discussion on the board about this.  Some said that the rhythm section was imposed on Cecil, that he wanted a more progressive bassist or drummer.  The results were...indescribable.  Taken as a trio, Mary Lou was great, but then there's this guy on the other end of the stage...  Anyway, hear it for yourself if you dare!

R-5900176-1405801007-3582.jpeg.jpg 

It's worth it just for the high concept of seeing Cecil Taylor on Pablo.  Though it should have been called "Mary Lou Williams Meets Cecil Taylor," or "The Mary Lou Williams And Cecil Taylor Quartet," or "The Ebullient Mary Lou And Cecil...Together!" or maybe "Cecil Taylor Sits In With The Mary Lou Williams Trio."

9 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Because of my age, I was around long enough to see a large number of these musicians live.

I counted 38 that I definitely have seen, and there are a few more that I may have seen long ago but can't recall with certainty.

Wow! Must be a record.