Charles Mingus set on last chance

Don't remember if I posted about this box before.  I loved it all, except for the first concert - too much Dolphy being Dolphy (I don't know why he doesn't bother me on the second concert; I think he's more melodic there).  The other concerts are great, and made me realize I hadn't listened to him in awhile.  He made music with a very definable personality, and I needed it again in my life.  I was very impressed with Lonnie Hillyer's work - he's amazing in these concerts.

Does anyone have an opinion about this; I'm a little put off by the # of duplicated songs:

61-kP0879LL.jpg

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Does anyone have an opinion about this; I'm a little put off by the # of duplicated songs:

61-kP0879LL.jpg

Yeah, I dig it a lot. They're airshots, obviously, with a lot of different players (especially pianists) along with a few of the same ones. Don't know how many songs there are on it, plenty of compositions. It's Boris Rose-sourced, iirc, so that's the sound quality. Plenty good for me, but people are less tolerant.

56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I dig it a lot. They're airshots, obviously, with a lot of different players (especially pianists) along with a few of the same ones. Don't know how many songs there are on it, plenty of compositions. It's Boris Rose-sourced, iirc, so that's the sound quality. Plenty good for me, but people are less tolerant.

I also like it a lot.  Perfectly listenable as long as you don't expect more than that.

• 2 weeks later...