Interesting Chet Baker interview

Musician Magazine was in circulation from about 1976 to 1999 and, given the time frame, it published fewer features on Jazz relative to the musical interests of the general public.

I don't know what that means, but Musician had some great writings about jazz for the first 5-6 years of its existence.

Their farewell to Hank Mobley was better than anything anybody else did, and that's just one example.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I don't know what that means, but Musician had some great writings about jazz for the first 5-6 years of its existence.

Their farewell to Hank Mobley was better than anything anybody else did, and that's just one example.

STRONGLY recommend this 1994 book that collects a dozen pieces on jazz from the magazine: "The Jazz Musician" (15 Years of Interviews; The Best of the Magazine). edited by Mark Rowland and Tony Scherman. https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Musician-Tony-Scherman/dp/0312095007

Here are the subjects with the writers in parenthesis:

Wayne Shorter (David Breskin)

Ornette Coleman (Quincy Troupe)

Lester Bowie (Rafi Zabor & Phillipa Jordan)

Charlie Haden (Rafi Zabor)

Herbie Hancock & Wynton Marsalis (Rafi Zabor and Vic Garbarini)

Chet Baker (Jerome Reece)

Miles Davis (Mark Roland)

John Coltrane (Peter Watrous)

Jaco Pastorious (Joni Mitchell)

Sonny Rollins (Chip Stern)

Tony Williams (Tony Scherman)

Dizzy Gillespie (Chip Stern)

The writers are Rafi Zabor, Chip Stern, David Breskin, Peter Watrous, Mark Rowland, 

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And really, they cover jazz better than they needed to (considering their main readership) up until it got sold to Billboard, and even then, a little bit here and there.

Do you know who wrote the Hank Mobley obituary? I can find a reference to the magazine in which it appeared -- Nov. 1986 with Eric Clapton on the cover -- but that's all the info I can dig up in a quick search. I'll look for that next time I'm at the music library in Ann Arbor. 

Great interview with Chet Baker. Well, Chet was really a living legend when I was young. And I´ve heard him often, always loved his sound.

This is a very honest interview and really reveals a lot about his difficult live.

I couldn´t check what the Hank Mobley article has to do with Chet´s interview, but nevertheless I found it very interesting. I think almost nobody knew anything about Mobley´s last years, even in the biography about his life there is nothing about that period. An I never saw a foto of Hank from later years, I think we all know only photos of him when he was about in his 30´s .

Hank's last years... no matter how many ways I read about it, it still depresses the hell out of me. Addiction is a horrible thing. I have a friend that saw him at that Angry Squire gig. She got his autograph there. There is a bootleg recording out there. I had a cassette copy of it. Mobley was playing so badly, I got rid of it. I prefer to remember Hank in other recordings.

Edit: you can find almost anything on YouTube. Damn - that piano sounds like shit.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• I was at the Angry Squire gig too. It was very sad but not shocking. IIRC, Stanley Crouch was the promoter and/or  the MC. I also recall that pianist Chris Anderson was present, with the woman (I think her first name was Lani, and I think she was a singer) who served as Chris' guardian angel at the time. I don't believe that Chris played that afternoon.