Charles Tolliver All-Stars vinyl and CD reissue

felser

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Me too. Tracking's the least they could do given the $6 fee to ship a single disc media mail. :P (Yes, I know Mosaic is set up for box sets, not singles. But my experience with the bozos to whom they've outsourced shipping has not been pleasant.)

Tracking is free.

On 4/21/2019 at 0:22 AM, jazzbo said:

I haven't removed the cellophane yet, but it seems very basic as far as the cover and back, in a jewel case. I doubt you will be impressed.

I've opened it. Very basic packaging. No mastering information. Very good sound. . .or as good as the recording is likely to sound. 

What's up with this release? Other than the link posted in this thread, it's impossible to even find it on the Mosaic website - which seems to be the lone place where the CD is supposed to be available in the first place! It's not listed under recent releases and if I go to the Charles Tolliver page, there's just a placeholder item listed and clicking on the link leads to an error message.

43 minutes ago, Kyo said:

What's up with this release? Other than the link posted in this thread, it's impossible to even find it on the Mosaic website - which seems to be the lone place where the CD is supposed to be available in the first place! It's not listed under recent releases and if I go to the Charles Tolliver page, there's just a placeholder item listed and clicking on the link leads to an error message.

Thought so too, but there's a regular way to find it: use the "True Blue Music" header in the horizontal top menu and it will get you to the relevant listing ... they are not treating it as their own reissue (which I guess it isnt?)

My parcel (two copies) is finally on the way, it took three orders, the first two were cancelled and my card temporarily blocked by the bank -- no idea what triggered that, maybe "All Stars" is code for terrorist group nowadays?

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Anybody else in Washington DC want to go in on a order of some CD's of this from Mosaic? -- probably save $4 each on shipping.

@Spontooneous -- do you want one too? - since I'll see you back in Kansas City in December.  I'm looking to put in an order by the end of April. 

Just mentioning my offer again -- I'm planning to order within the next 2-3 weeks.  Already have one other DC person interested, and would welcome any others (if hooking up to hand off the disc doesn't turn out to be too complicated, and not worth the effort to try and save $3/$4.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered five (5) CD copies from Mosaic -- for a combined DC and KC contingent -- only $8 shipping total (vs. $6 for just one copy).

Only four copies are actually spoken for (the 5th copy didn't bump the order up into the next level of shipping, so I thought I'd get 1 extra).  So if anyone else in DC, KC, or STL wants a copy (and to save $4 on shipping), lemme know.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Pim said:

I don’t think shipping get much cheaper than that... prices are ridiculous. I know that shipping to the US from the Netherlands with DHL costs about 18 euros...

Personally sent 2 CD's from the US to the UK in the last year, and I think shipping ran me just slightly over $20 (and that was the very cheapest USPS option).  Even asked for 'media mail' - which they said wasn't available from US to UK.

Absolutely could not believe it, but I gritted my teeth and got out my credit card.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

22 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Personally sent 2 CD's from the US to the UK in the last year, and I think shipping ran me just slightly over $20 (and that was the very cheapest USPS option).  Even asked for 'media mail' - which they said wasn't available from US to UK.

Absolutely could not believe it, but I gritted my teeth and got out my credit card.

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

Yup, shipping has long become ridiculously expensive ... I ordered two copies to cut a bit on the shipping costs, passing one on to a friend.

Yes I order a lot through Discogs. Most time a seller just got one item I want. I think probably 10/20% of the money I have spent on music actually went to shipping costs... 😒

Edited by Pim

I also lament international shipping fees.  I have dozens of titles on Discogs I'd like to buy, but can't justify the shipping.  I keep them in my shopping cart hoping seller will end up with additional titles I want.  The two places that somehow do have good shipping rates to the USA are Russia and China, for whatever reason.

The CD version still not showing up on import CDs (only vinyl at this stage!!)

I'll probably add my copy to the upcoming Mobley Mosaic - that will absorb the shipping cost (if it doesnt take it into a higher category)

Shipping costs to the US & UK from Australia are also abysmal - still reasonable to/from europe

• 5 months later...

Update on my July post - finally received a copy of the Tolliver CD (Christmas present with the Teddy Wilson box) - love my Christmas Mosaic surprises!!

Interesting that the CD is still not available anywhere (AFAIK) except from the Mosaic site - appears to be a sole Mosaic release (CD) but absolutely no info on the CD or slick to that effect (i know this was discussed earlier last year). Also, the CD version is not even listed in Discogs.

Edited by romualdo

On 3/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, felser said:

https://www.audaud.com/charles-tolliver-charles-tolliver-all-stars-pure-pleasure-records/

Just saw this in the jazzmessengers new release email.  Still looking for a CD of it...

Also, Clifford Jordan's masterpiece, Glass Bead Games, in the same vinyl series.

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/79969/clifford-jordan/glass-bead-games?mc_cid=2fecb9c998&mc_eid=d43870520b

I picked up the Tolliver CD earlier this year from Mosaic. You might want to check their site.