Charles Tolliver All-Stars vinyl and CD reissue

felser

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed that Dusty Groove now have this cd ( I assume it’s same version, it’s listed as just on Strata East) coming into stock soon for those who balked at Mosaics postage.

Also listed coming in next couple of weeks is one by him entitled “In The Trenches”, anyone know what this is, is it some of the long promised archive stuff that was mentioned years back??

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/944527?incl_cs=1&no_incl_in=1&sort_order=release_date&format=cd

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/944626?incl_cs=1&no_incl_in=1&sort_order=release_date&format=cd

Just found an old mention of In The Trenches here, no date of recording though

http://www.serecs.com/coming.html

Edited by Harbour

6 hours ago, felser said:

That has been sitting on the Strata-East website for a long long time.   I don't expect to actually ever see it, though it would be great to have.

Image result for princess bride disappointment

It’s been listed on the Strata East site for years yes but this is first time it’s actually been listed on a proper vendors site so hoping for the best!

so no one has any idea what time period the Trenches session is from?

https://markweber.free-jazz.net/2014/08/09/radio/

mw2865-for-klaus.jpg

Charles Tolliver Quintet —– May 10, 1981 @ Maiden Voyage, downtown Los Angeles —- Buck Clarke, congas; Sunduza William Henderson, piano; Clifford Barbaro, drums; Tony Dumas, bass —- this evening was recorded for Jazz Alive broadcast, I recall Michael Cuscuna was there (or was that another night?) —- photo by Mark Weber —- I have always loved Tolliver’s tune “On the Nile” and Horace Tapscott kept it in his Pan Afrikan People’s Arkestra book for years —- (this is the William Henderson who recorded with Bradford & John Carter on their 1972 album SECRETS)

On 2/17/2020 at 5:21 PM, JSngry said:

https://markweber.free-jazz.net/2014/08/09/radio/

mw2865-for-klaus.jpg

Charles Tolliver Quintet —– May 10, 1981 @ Maiden Voyage, downtown Los Angeles —- Buck Clarke, congas; Sunduza William Henderson, piano; Clifford Barbaro, drums; Tony Dumas, bass —- this evening was recorded for Jazz Alive broadcast...

Saw/heard Charles Tolliver in Baltimore last night (went up with Bertrand) — what a concert!! — and we talked with Charles after.

He confirmed this 1981 Maiden Voyage show is what’s being released (which I now see a new date for on Dusty Groove, as *May 1st* (no longer March 1st). He also said there was more material being released from that same show beyond whatever already circulates — so that sounds like maybe one(?) really long CD (I forgot to ask if it was one or two discs).

Charles sounded really great last night as the night went on, 2nd set especially. Both sets included new Tolliver tunes too, which we’ll all hopefully get to hear at some point.  Here’s the band last night...

Charles Tolliver, trumpet
Buster Williams, bass
Lenny White, drums
Keith Brown, piano
Bruce Edwards, guitar

Bruce Edwards, I didn’t realize until the pre-concert intro of the band by the venue host, played with Sun Ra(!) in the 80’s (he’s all over the A&M album Blue Delight, for instance, also Live At Pitt-Inn too), and continued with the Marshall Allen led Arkestra (so it turns out I'd already heard him 2-3 times before last night). I’ve always loved his guitar color with the Arkestra, since you don’t typically think of guitar when you think of Sun Ra — but I’ve always thought he fits in beautifully with all those great original Ra-penned tunes (actual TUNES) that Ra was performing more in the 80’s, “Interstellar Low Ways” for instance.

Anyway, a GREAT night, and my first time ever hearing Tolliver live after 20+ years of loving his music. He never came to Kansas City (or St. Louis) in all that time, and I’ve never gotten up to NYC to hear him I’m a little ashamed to say (I’ve only gotten up to NYC once since I moved to DC in 2011).

PS:  Charles looked great for being 77 (didn't look a day over 70), and I see he has a birthday coming up THIS week (on Friday, March 6), so he's really practically 78.  Seemed to be getting around great, and was on his feet the entire concert and for a time after.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Mr Tolliver is definitely in a roll and getting a higher profile which is very good to see. First time I saw him was with Louis Hayes’ Quintet back in 1990 - a very low key, in the shadows but fine performance which, knowing his back history, I thought was a shame at the time. He must have just been on the return into live gigging from the academic stuff, I guess.

Bruce Edwards - now there’s a blast from the past and I think I might have seen him with the Arkestra around that time.

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 weeks later...

Just reflecting on how thankful I am for having had the chance to hear Charles play live (my first and only time), up in Baltimore back at the end of February (see my review a few posts above).

One of the last live things I managed to see, before things started shutting down just a couple weeks later.