Charles Tolliver All-Stars vinyl and CD reissue

felser

https://www.audaud.com/charles-tolliver-charles-tolliver-all-stars-pure-pleasure-records/

Just saw this in the jazzmessengers new release email.  Still looking for a CD of it...

Also, Clifford Jordan's masterpiece, Glass Bead Games, in the same vinyl series.

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/79969/clifford-jordan/glass-bead-games?mc_cid=2fecb9c998&mc_eid=d43870520b

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

But it's just about the last Toliver session I don't have on CD, if I'm remembering right.

That's also my understanding.  I believe I have everything else he did as a leader on CD.

43 minutes ago, felser said:

That's also my understanding.  I believe I have everything else he did as a leader on CD.

Me too.  Toughest one to track down (at the time about 15 years ago), was this 1977 album: Compassion (Strata-East) aka New Tolliver (Baystate).  I have the 1991 German 'Bellaphon' CD issue as Compassion.  But it came out in Japan again in 2009 (as New Tolliver).

I've also had about 80% of all his sideman appearances on CD too at one time or another, but traded a handful of them off because of space issues with my collection.

Easily on my top-10 list of my personal list of favorite trumpeters, somewhere down around #5 or #6 probably.

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Me too.  Toughest one to track down (at the time about 15 years ago), was this 1977 album: Compassion (Strata-East) aka New Tolliver (Baystate).  I have the 1991 German 'Bellaphon' CD issue as Compassion.  But it came out in Japan again in 2009 (as New Tolliver).

I've also had about 80% of all his sideman appearances on CD too at one time or another, but traded a handful of them off because of space issues with my collection.

Easily on my top-10 list of my personal list of favorite trumpeters, somewhere down around #5 or #6 probably.

I think I like his playing a lot and love his writing, and am not sure how to separate them sometimes.  I'm sure Freddie Hubbard has to rate #1 for me in pure playing (favorite, I am not qualified to select "best").  And I really like Hannibal Peterson.  Hannibal and Tolliver play more like Coltrane than like the usual trumpet players to me.   I also really liked the VERY early Wynton Marsalis playing with Blakey.  Hope that last sentence doesn't get me shamed off the website :unsure:.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Y'all need to check out Barbara Donald then.

Familiar with her work done with ex-husband Sonny Simmons.  What else by her?  I know she led a couple of dates with Carter Jefferson, et al, but I have never heard them.

Ordered this one immediately at our local record store. ‘Pure Pleasure Records’ is exactly that what their name states: a pure pleasure. Using the original master tapes for remastering, these sound absolutely stunning. As a matter of fact: I am replacing some of my German Bellaphon cd’s with these vinyl reissues as I really don’t like the sound of them ( Harpers Capra Black sounds dreadful). This label is making some rare Strata East records available again including their original artwork (front and back). A big plus for me is that they pay dues to the original owners of the material. 

Only thing that is wondering me is why they reissue this Tolliver session under Strata East. The original was issued on Polydor or Black Lion wasn’t it? 

I am still hoping that after Strata East, they are going to start with the India Navigition catalogue. 

Oh and Barbara Donald 👍 she caught my attention from the very first note on Simmons’s ESP stuff. A very good trumpeter with a great sense of timing, space and melody. A miracle she is so obscure.

Just noticing that the listing on The Bastards site says that this new LP issue also has a bonus track: "Repetition (take 2)", by Neal Hefti.

I though(?) there was a previous digital-only (mp3) release of this album that had some other alternate take of one of the tracks (I don't remember any bonus material being something other than an 'alternate' - but it's been eons since I've read about/considered that digital release, which I never bought).

BTW, the back-sleeve liners on this new LP issue are by Michael Cuscuna, and you can zoom this image up and clearly read the whole text quite easily (at least I was able to).  You might need to cut-n-paste this URL into a separate browser page to get it to appear big enough (and maybe zoom in more, on top of that).

https://www.deejay.de/images/xl/4/9/349649b.jpg

More info about the release here too:

https://www.deejay.de/Charles_Tolliver_All_Stars_SES-19681_Vinyl__349649

And here the dusty prose about it...

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/909779

349649b.jpg

tolliv_char_charlesto_104b.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

48 minutes ago, BFrank said:

I was trying to figure out if this is a Mosaic/Strata East release, or just that Mosaic is selling it.

FWIW, the Mosaic page linked to in the e-mail leads with

"Charles Tolliver All Stars

Mosaic Singles"

4 hours ago, felser said:

Ordered that puppy online as fast as I could type!

+1. I have not been bullish on Mosaic's future, but this is a very positive sign.

Edited by T.D.

22 minutes ago, T.D. said:

FWIW, the Mosaic page linked to in the e-mail leads with

"Charles Tolliver All Stars

Mosaic Singles"

+1. I have not been bullish on Mosaic's future, but this is a very positive sign.

Yes, I noticed the apparent "Mosaic Singles" branding--a series that I thought was long defunct.  Would be great if it was occasionally revived for releases like this.

The vinyl for Tolliver is available on Amazon and importcds.com but not the CD. Importcds lists the label as "Pure Pleasure." If this was a Mosaic exclusive wouldn't they own both formats?

I just ordered through Mosaic. $6 shipping for a single CD is mighty steep. Perhaps they'll ship it with the forthcoming Mobley Mosaic that I preordered....