Jimmy Giuffre and Pee Wee Russell at Music Inn?

medjuck

I just read the following in an on-line essay about The Sound of Jazz: "  In 1956, he recorded a blues with Giuffre at Music Inn, ." (The "he" being Pee Wee Russell.) Is this correct?  I can find no reference to a  recording of Giuffre at Music Inn except the record with  the MJQ. 

Edited by medjuck
stupidity

Don't know about a recording, but I seem to recall reading (in an old Saturday Review?) that there was a joke about those two being the clarinet "faculty" at the Lenox School, people were asking, yeah, ok, now who's going to teach ABOVE the break? meaning who's going to teach the top half of the horn?

Maybe that's a "musician's joke", but I find it pretty funny. Not accurate, just funny.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Also, one 1957 track with them from "The Sound of Jazz." On YouTube.

Yes, They're on both the supposed rehearsal record (I always thought it was a CBS tie-in recording session) and the tv show. 

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

If you're into bootlegs, semi-bootlegs, or whatever you want to call them, the tracks are available here: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Quartet-Giuffre-Complete-Recordings/dp/B000BYAD16

61Kff-wkcIL.jpg

So is he on the legitimate MJQ with Giuffre cd? It appears not on the Discogs credits. 

Edited by medjuck