Nearly 1.5 million posts.

Hardbopjazz

I wonder how many posts AAJ and JC had before they went kaput.  It's a shame, although entirely not surprising, that AAJ didn't leave an archived version of the forum up as promised.  At any rate, I'm glad that this board is still alive and kicking.

Edited by Justin V

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

I wonder how many posts AAJ and JC had before they went kaput.  It's a shame, although entirely not surprising, that AAJ didn't leave an archived version of the forum up as promised.  At any rate, I'm glad that this board is still alive and kicking.

For some reason I’m remembering JC 400,000-500,000 posts. Though I could be way off. The last software iteration of JC was only around for about ten years. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

And the beat goes on!  But is it just my anecdotal sense, or is the board somewhat less active these days than it used to be?  Not sure if there's any accessible way of seeing what the post count has been month-by-month or year-by-year... grateful as always that Jim A. (w/help of moderators) has kept this joint running for so long.  

14 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

And the beat goes on!  But is it just my anecdotal sense, or is the board somewhat less active these days than it used to be?  Not sure if there's any accessible way of seeing what the post count has been month-by-month or year-by-year... grateful as always that Jim A. (w/help of moderators) has kept this joint running for so long.  

Most of the categories I follow seem to be pretty active, and not only because I blather away on them, either!!

gregmo

3 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Most of the categories I follow seem to be pretty active, and not only because I blather away on them, either!!

gregmo

Oh yeah, there's definitely plenty of conversation and posting activity still going on!  Board's a long way from being moribund or some such... just *seems* (fwiw, and that's probably not much) to be less active than it was, say, ten years ago.  

So many of the old faces have disappeared ( Magnificent Goldberg, alocispepraluger, Paul Secor and Lark Ascending are the first to come to mind) and new faces don't seem to have become established to replace them.

However, there are exceptions. We need more people like Gheorghe (who by my standards seems like a new face.):)

Edited by BillF

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Oh yeah, there's definitely plenty of conversation and posting activity still going on!  Board's a long way from being moribund or some such... just *seems* (fwiw, and that's probably not much) to be less active than it was, say, ten years ago.  

Many members have left or are hardly posting, and not many new people are joining. Just going by the post count, there were roughly 100,000 posts a year for the first 16 years. Now there has been a little over 60,000 posts in the last 17 months (since the 1,5M anniversary).