Scott Walker RIP

mjazzg

There are really no equivalents of Scott Walker, at least in the English-speaking world.  

While he was never one to look back, I had always hoped that he would do a tour performing stuff from the first five or so solo albums with the original Wally Stott/Angela Morley arrangements.  We can be content having those records.  Scott 3 remains a favorite.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

The sun ain't gonna shine anymore .... R.I.P ....

My ship is coming in...RIP.

(this hit #3 on the UK charts, tanked in USA for some reason I've never been able to fathom)

The ultimate performance of the most sophisticated anti-Vietnam-War song ever written.  Stunning.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Mesmerizing .... btw the version of Jimmy Radcliffe ain't too shabby either ....

Thank you for that lead.  I was not familiar with that version (apparently the original recording), or with Radcliffe at all. You're right, it's a wonderful record.   The Walter Jackson is also stunning.  Even more gut-wrenching (for me, at least) than the Radcliffe or Walker versions, especially considering Jackson's life.

46 minutes ago, felser said:

Thank you for that lead.  I was not familiar with that version (apparently the original recording), or with Radcliffe at all. You're right, it's a wonderful record.   The Walter Jackson is also stunning.  Even more gut-wrenching (for me, at least) than the Radcliffe or Walker versions, especially considering Jackson's life.

Full agreement on Walter Jackson .... was thinking about him (do own the original Okeh 45) but posting from the office and couldn't remember his name .... my senior moments are definitely increasing .... 

Very sad to hear. You never knew what he was going to do next. From a session bass player, to a top 40 teen idol, to a jazz record producer, to a Jacques Brel interpreter, to a powerful singer of imaginative contemporary songs with wild orchestral arrangements, to expressionistic, avant garde art song creations; he never stopped changing.

My last memory of him will be whacking a dead piece of meat in a freezer for one of his later pieces in the documentary on him.

He was so supportive of the jazz musicians that worked with him, that his guitarist/ MD, Terry Smith, got a phone call one day in 1967 to show up at a studio in a few days, and was greeted by a big band of top UK jazz session players, gathered to record Smith's first jazz LP for Phillips Records, "Fallout"- produced and paid for by Walker! RIP, Mr. Walker...

I have to confess I don't know any of Scott Walker's music at all, though I understand David Bowie held him in the highest, of high esteem -- and may have covered a couple of Walker's tunes over the years (iirc).  I'll have to listen some of the music linked to in this thread.  I've read his AMG bio a time or two, and maybe his Wikipedia entry -- because of the Bowie connection -- but I have to confess to not really having any idea where to start with any of his music, which I understand changed considerably over his entire career (iirc).

RIP.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

This is sad news. I remember hearing his hits a lot on the radio and seeing him on TV in the late 60s, then he seemed to drop off the chart. More high profile here in the UK over the past couple of decades, with a ‘Meltdown’ Festival dedicated to him and an interesting BBC 4 documentary some time back. Lots of support to UK jazz musicians such as Ray Warleigh and Terry Smith in the early days, producing early records by them. Didn’t realise either that he’d been a UK citizen since 1970. Certainly one of a kind and a unique talent - RIP.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I have to confess I don't know any of Scott Walker's music at all, though I understand David Bowie held him in the highest, of high esteem -- and may have covered a couple of Walker's tunes over the years (iirc).  I'll have to place some of the music linked to in this thread.  I've read his AMG bio a time or two, and maybe his Wikipedia entry -- because of the Bowie connection -- but I have to confess to not really having any idea where to start with any of his music, which I understand changed considerably over his entire career (iirc).

RIP.

Start with "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore",  one of the greatest moments of 60's Pop music thanks to Walker's majestic vocal (and it started life as a Frankie Valli B-side, oops!) and a #1 in England (top 15 or so in USA).  Go from there to the other two monster smashes (in the UK) by the Walker Brothers, "Make It Easy On Yourself" and "My Ship is Coming In".  Next, go to either deeper Walker Brothers (if you're hooked, I can help you on the Walker Bros.) or to his early solo stuff, from the late 60's/early 70's (others can help better on the roadmap starting there).

Scott was very very very special to me - he never looked back & surfed that wave of progressiveness/avant garde right till the end. He never "sold out" IMHO. Wow!! he even had one of my jazz heroes, Evan Parker contribute to his 1983 LP "Climate of Hunter". RIP Scott