Birth of the cool: Miles Davis move coming out.

Hardbopjazz

The information is in the link below.. Screenings will take place starting this week. 

https://www.milesdavismovie.com/screenings

Miles Davis: Horn player, bandleader, innovator.  Elegant, intellectual, vain. Callous, conflicted, controversial. Magnificent, mercurial. Genius. The very embodiment of cool. The man with a sound so beautiful it could break your heart.

The central theme of Miles Davis's life was his restless determination to break boundaries and live life on his own terms. It made him a star—it also made him incredibly difficult to live with, for the people who loved him most.  Again and again, in music and in life, Miles broke with convention—and when he thought his work came to represent a new convention, he changed it again. Miles's bold disregard for tradition, his clarity of vision, his relentless drive, and constant thirst for new experiences made him an inspiring collaborator to fellow musicians and a cultural icon to generations of listeners. It made him an innovator in music—from bebop to “cool jazz,” modern quintets, orchestral music, jazz fusion, rock ‘n’ roll, and even hip-hop.   

Featuring never-before-seen archival footage, studio outtakes, and rare photos, Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool tells the story of a truly singular talent and unpacks the man behind the horn.

I get the impression it's a documentary (decline to register at the link given, so can't read much). If that's so, I'm in. OTOH, less interest in another fictionalized treatment. I didn't love the Don Cheadle film.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

The Don Cheadle movie SUCKED.

I mostly enjoyed the Don Cheadle movie. Didn't love it, but I definitely liked it for what it was.

I felt like Cheadle's movie and performance did portray quite a number of 'truths' about the kind of person Miles was, even through the clearly fictional story.

The Miles flick was more entertaining than the Chet Baker film, which came out at approximately the same time. But it did suck as a biography, obviously. I viewed it as a graphic novel come to a cartoon-like life.  And as such, it was fun.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Me too.

In the context of Miles's life, it carries a different meaning. 

Edited by Dmitry

Frankly, any true biopic about Miles was likely to be disappointing, imho. At least Cheadle's portrayal did give quite a good view (imho)into how Miles might have been like to have interacted with at various points in his life.

Like I said, I liked it better than I would have a disappointing traditional biopic, and my expectations for these sorts of things aren't mega-high. Cheadle did ok by Miles, far as I'm concerned. I'll bet Miles might have even dug the movie himself too.