jazz at the atlas 2019-newburgh ny

Some of these concerts have previously been discussed:

Saturday (March 30), 8pm: THUMBSCREW
$20 in advance; $25 at the door
This cooperative project features a trio of gifted musicians and composers — guitarist Mary Halvorson, bassist Michael Formanek and drummer Tomas Fujiwara — performing their own compositions and selected standards with an exacting prowess wed to a liberated swing that is glorious to behold.

Saturday, April 20: SUN OF GOLDFINGER
Returning to the Hudson Valley after their memorable closing set for the 2015 Beacon Jazz Festival, alto saxophonist Tim Berne, electric guitarist David Torn and drummer Ches Smith flatten any concept of musical boundaries in this forward-looking ensemble’s bracing embrace of the future unleashed within the present moment. The trio will be touring in support of their debut recording for ECM Records.

Saturday, June 22: TICONDEROGA
Four phenomenal musicians — Joe McPhee, Jamie Saft, Joe Morris and Charles Downs — invoke the spirit of late Coltrane and their own unique musical paths to forge a stirring, passionate fire sermon of a quartet.

Saturday, July 27: DARIUS JONES’ SHADES OF BLACK
Called “the most visceral and distinctive alto saxophonist of this era” by The New York Times, composer/altoist Jones convenes a quartet of outstanding talents featuring Sam Newsome on soprano saxophone, Cooper-Moore on organ and Michael Wimberly on drums.

Saturday, October 5: KAREN BORCA QUARTET
The innovative, criminally under-recognized bassoonist, with decades of experience in the ensembles of such major artists as Cecil Taylor, Jimmy Lyons, William Parker and others, leads this thrilling quartet of veteran creative musicians including Warren Smith on vibes, Hilliard Greene on bass and Jackson Krall on drums.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’m planning on 7/27 to see that great quartet. Anyone else going??

I have seen that group several times, including once arranging for them to perform here in Hartford. Unless a conflict arises, I plan to attend.

3 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

I saw that quartet at the Jazz Gallery recently.  I think Darius is a great player, but I was underwhelmed.

I’ve seen them once / probably their first concert / at The Stone 2-3 years ago. I thought they were very good despite Sam Newsome maybe not being the best fit for the quartet. He is a very good soprano saxophonist but I’m not sure that horn or his somewhat technical approach works for this group but again I remember really enjoying both sets and I thought Cooper-Moore was great on organ.

What made the show disappointing?

34 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ve seen them once / probably their first concert / at The Stone 2-3 years ago. I thought they were very good despite Sam Newsome maybe not being the best fit for the quartet. He is a very good soprano saxophonist but I’m not sure that horn or his somewhat technical approach works for this group but again I remember really enjoying both sets and I thought Cooper-Moore was great on organ.

What made the show disappointing?

I did not find the show disappointing,  I found it underwhelming. Darius's focus has been on politics the last few times that I have seen him.  At that show, he seemed more interested in spreading his political viewpoints than making good music.  I go to the Jazz Gallery to get away from the overtly political.  I could have stayed home and watched cable news instead of going to see the performance.

2 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

I did not find the show disappointing,  I found it underwhelming. Darius's focus has been on politics the last few times that I have seen him.  At that show, he seemed more interested in spreading his political viewpoints than making good music.  I go to the Jazz Gallery to get away from the overtly political.  I could have stayed home and watched cable news instead of going to see the performance.

I’m very disappointed to hear that. One reason I only went to 1 night of Vision Fest is that Patricia starts referencing this stuff. Some may disagree but for me there is no need for any of it. Good chance I don’t go as that would destroy the vibe for me.

I saw Darius Jones at the most recent Vision festival fronting a different group than will appear at the Atlas.  Don't remember any spreading of political viewpoints.  I plan on attending the show at the Atlas. 

BTW-I think the Atlas has added a November 2nd date for a trio led by James Emery.  

15 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’m very disappointed to hear that. One reason I only went to 1 night of Vision Fest is that Patricia starts referencing this stuff. Some may disagree but for me there is no need for any of it. Good chance I don’t go as that would destroy the vibe for me.

I have heard Darius Jones several times in the past couple of years and he has never said anything political during any performance I attended.

1 hour ago, relyles said:

I have heard Darius Jones several times in the past couple of years and he has never said anything political during any performance I attended.

Me too which is why I was confused. I’ll keep it on my schedule. 

fwiw I’m not averse to a good discussion about the “events of the day” but there is a time and place for it and when musicians or curators or Emcees get into all of that, it is the LAST thing I need to hear at a musical event. One of the reasons I love going to hear live music is to get away from all of that. I’m not going to want to get angry or fired up depending on my viewpoint.

Now if a band like Marc Ribot band which is known for that sort of thing, then I can be sure to avoid it even though he is a great guitarist. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds