Play ball! 2019 MLB season thread

Yes, Phillies, forget about racist episodes in your past, nobody's looking at you right now, it's safe!

Just now, catesta said:

Yeah, if it was about her singing voice, but it's not.

Yeah, but for me it is. Really, it is. This other stuff, this move to the 21st Century is all well and good, but I have ALWAYS ahted that version of that song. Seriously, hated it for as long as I can remember it.

If White Nostalgia has to depend on Kate Smith to survive, it's more than half-past dead.

Plus, I really, REALLY like it when teams use local talent to sing that song. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they suck, but at least they're real people who are actually in the same space as you are.

Or even better than that - sing the song yourself, baseball fans!

This Kate Smith, shit....yuck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that Pedroia ever starts even semi-regularly for the Sox again, which is pretty sad. But as far as the AL East goes Andujar going back on the DL is not a good sign. I was confused when I heard essentially that he felt "good enough" to return it sounded like they were jumping the gun. Now he's gone 3 for 34, mostly as DH so not many throws to make, and he's back on the DL. Sounds like July to me, if he avoids surgery.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:32 AM, Dan Gould said:

I don't think that Pedroia ever starts even semi-regularly for the Sox again, which is pretty sad. But as far as the AL East goes Andujar going back on the DL is not a good sign. I was confused when I heard essentially that he felt "good enough" to return it sounded like they were jumping the gun. Now he's gone 3 for 34, mostly as DH so not many throws to make, and he's back on the DL. Sounds like July to me, if he avoids surgery.

and now he goes under the knife. At least that's not another all-star the Yankees will add to a division leading roster in July.

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

15 teams under .500 at this point (Miami in free fall, how many losses this year?) with no chance of going anywhere either. No wonder attendance is down -- MLB has a serious problem with the lack of quality baseball.

How many of these teams were expected to do anything? Washington is the big surprise but it seems to me the rest were supposed to suck, and thru 1/4 of the season, they do. Oh and there is the A's, was last season a fluke? I am not even sure what they did with the roster but its pretty bad so far.

21 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

and now he goes under the knife. At least that's not another all-star the Yankees will add to a division leading roster in July.

You know, it’s definitely a bummer, but in a weird way it resolves what was going to be a logjam in in the infield with Didi’s impending return. Gio Urshela’s bat will most likely come back down to earth, but he’s a huge improvement over Miggy at third in defensive terms. Gleyber can play second and shortstop and DJ can play first, second, and third, which will keep his bat (and glove) in the lineup. DJ doesn’t hit with Andujar’s power but he does *hit* and has been an excellent leadoff man. The big question for me is when does Judge get back, and that still seems pretty open-ended. The biggest worry is Severino. (And hopefully Paxton’s knee issue won’t dog him all season long.)

I thought Ian Kinsler was used up last year, basically being worthless despite moving to a park that should have done wonders for his swing (and getting a ring for it).

Yet he gets a two year deal in San Diego, continues to show the tank is empty, and when he lucks into a hanger and hits a home run, curses out (vigorously) the home town fans. What an ass.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/05/17/ian-kinsler-shouted-f-bombs-at-the-hometown-fans/

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Magical 9th-inning rally by the Yankees tonight against the Rays. First time in 10 outings this season that the Castillo-Alvarado combo blew a save. It almost felt like a playoff game watching the last few minutes of the game.

Give credit to this "alternate" Yankees line-up for their performance(s) .... miss the injured players though ....

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Give credit to this "alternate" Yankees line-up for their performance(s) .... miss the injured players though ....

Key sequence was Gleyber Torres’ 10-pitch AB against Alvarado that ended with a double off the wall, putting the tying run on third (which subsequently scored on a wild pitch). 

Happy Trails to Koji Uehara, a starter who never wanted to be a reliever and had a magical 2013 season when he was forced into the role of closer for the eventual world champions. He announced his retirement today. Loved that guy ...

Uehara.JPG

I have fond memories of Koji and his time with the Red Sox.

On other fronts (Mets), things are not good.  There are reports that Cano is being benched after two recent incidents of not running out the box.  Also, Yoenis Cespedes had an accident on his Florida ranch over the weekend and is being evaluated in New York.  Multiple fractures in one ankle.  Odd descriptions of a "violent fall" and "stepping in a hole."  Those descriptions seem inconsistent.  One wonders if and when (and where?) Cespedes will play again.

As usual it’s mayhem in Mets land. Signing Céspedes was the biggest waste of money. Since 2016 he’s hardly played. The manager is simply awful but the Mets have chosen to cast their lot with him. A well run organization they are not. 

On 5/20/2019 at 4:41 PM, jazztrain said:

I have fond memories of Koji and his time with the Red Sox.

On other fronts (Mets), things are not good.  There are reports that Cano is being benched after two recent incidents of not running out the box.  Also, Yoenis Cespedes had an accident on his Florida ranch over the weekend and is being evaluated in New York.  Multiple fractures in one ankle.  Odd descriptions of a "violent fall" and "stepping in a hole."  Those descriptions seem inconsistent.  One wonders if and when (and where?) Cespedes will play again.

I thought Cespedes fell off his horse and broke his ankle?  A good friend is a longtime Mets fan and thinks they're doomed until the day they get new ownership.

Great comeback by the Yankees last night against the O's, after another Happless start from J.A.  Boston is coming on strong and the Rays start a series tonight with the Dodgers, which means a decent chance that they slip a bit further down in the standings.  

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

...A good friend is a longtime Mets fan and thinks they're doomed until the day they get new ownership....

Wilpon's a terrible owner who has always struck me as a thoroughly disagreeable personality. Supposedly lost a big percentage of his net worth with Madoff, which may have constrained baseball spending. 

50 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Wilpon's a terrible owner who has always struck me as a thoroughly disagreeable personality. Supposedly lost a big percentage of his net worth with Madoff, which may have constrained baseball spending. 

MLB should do a McCourt on he behind.

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

MLB should do a McCourt on he behind.

That will never happen.  They did lose a bundle on Madoff but I think that may be behind them. Unfortunately, Jeff Wilpon, Fred's son, who oversees baseball operations meddles too much. They spend money but not wisely. 

Edited by Brad

And I was exactly right. 

I'd say they have about a 5% chance of catching the  Yankees or Rays, and less than 50/50 they make the post-season in a one-and-done play-in game on the road. I have no idea what a good example recently of a truly shitty title defense but I'm actually hoping they set some sort of mark this year. I mean, make the most of it.

So long as the Yankees get handled by the Rays or Astros in October, Saul Goode.