Play ball! 2019 MLB season thread

5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Three of the DS going to a deciding game 5. I really can’t see the Rays beating Cole on the road at Houston, but “you can’t predict baseball” and all that. Even if the Rays do lose, I’m grateful to them for scrambling Houston’s potential ALCS rotation plans.

By not saving Verlander for game 5 and thus not being able to use Cole in game 1, they’ve definitely accomplished that. 

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

By not saving Verlander for game 5 and thus not being able to use Cole in game 1, they’ve definitely accomplished that. 

If Houston does still manage to advance, it'll be Greinke in Game 1 and then Verlander in Game 2, but that would be Verlander's third start in 10 days--something he's never done before in his career, evidently.  OTOH Houston had the best record at home in the MLB and they'd  have home-field advantage over the Yankees.  I think it's going to be *extremely* difficult for the Rays to beat Cole at Houston, but ya never know.  Biggest problem for Houston right now is their lack of offense (aggravated, of course, by the Rays' outstanding pitching).

Yankees sure blew a great chance last night to come back to NY up 2-0. Now they have to beat Cole in game 3 *and* take the next two to avoid a game 6 and 7 scenario where they’re lined up against Verlander and Cole respectively. Whatever happens from here on out, they need to clean house and overhaul their strength/conditioning/rehab regimen during the offseason. No team suffers such a tidal wave of injuries (the latest being Stanton, yet again, with a right calf strain from running to first base—insert long string of expletives here) as a result of “bad luck.” The Yankees set an MLB record this year for most time spent by players on the IL. Do what the Nats did three years ago and get a new crew and approach in there. Maybe get these guys to do a little less 400-lb-plus bench pressing and a little more yoga.

I always thought it would be a 7 game series.

As far as Stanton goes, he’s always hurt. I’d say to him see ya next year, when he’ll get hurt again. In his 10 year career he’s only played 140 games or more 4 times. 

Edited by Brad

40 minutes ago, catesta said:

Boone pulling Green was a huge mistake.

Yeah, Otto's been crapping the bed on a semi-regular basis for the past 6-8 weeks.  Biggest problem was Paxton going less than 3 innings--well, that and utter failure to do anything against Houston's pen.  NY has to win at least *one* game against the Verlander/Cole axis to have any chance of winning the series, and last night seemed like a good shot at it.  Astros haven't lost a game with Cole as starter since I don't know when... July or something crazy like that?

Wow, the Nats... doing to the Cardinals what the Cardinals did to the Braves in the last game of the NLDS.  Yankees crapped the bed against the Astros yet again and are just about done—failure to calitalize repeatedly in games 2 and 3 was infuriating.  Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin against Verlander/Cole/Greinke would be a titanic matchup of arms for a World Series.

What a scrappy bunch in DC! Young guys like Soto delivering (...though a bit adventurous in left field...). Old guys like Kendrick just raking. Production from the 8th spot (Gomes, Michael A., Robles). A god awful bullpen now has two arms back, and hopefully the starters can continue to pitch deep into games, though HOU or NYY lineups will be challenging. While I had no issues while he was here, kind of cool that they are doing this without the mega-superstar now in Philly.

And the next time I cringe regarding outfield play by Nats or Tribe or whomever, I will remember the Cardinals. Yikes.

14 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Wow, the Nats... doing to the Cardinals what the Cardinals did to the Braves in the last game of the NLDS.  Yankees crapped the bed against the Astros yet again and are just about done—failure to calitalize repeatedly in games 2 and 3 was infuriating.  Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin against Verlander/Cole/Greinke would be a titanic matchup of arms for a World Series.

The Yanks played so well against the Twins, I was really expecting more against Houston. Very frustrating that they've been able to get on base against Verlander and Cole but unable to score runs. Boone's continuous calls to the bullpen is also getting old. I doubt we will see a game tonight, so maybe the day off will do them some good.

Edited by catesta

38 minutes ago, catesta said:

The Yanks played so well against the Twins, I was really expecting more against Houston. Very frustrating that they've been able to get on base against Verlander and Cole but unable to score runs. Boone's continuous calls to the bullpen is also getting old. I doubt we will see a game tonight, so maybe the day off will do them some good.

I hope so.  I think Houston's the slightly better team, but I also thought, going into the series, that we were definitely capable of beating them.  Yeah, the offensive performances against Verlander and Cole have been incredibly frustrating.  Really missing Stanton, who had been doing great batting fifth in the postseason.  

The weather in New York is going to work in favor of the Astros.  Verlander and Cole with an extra day or two of rest are going to be that much tougher.  I'm also fed up with Aaron Boone.  Two of his decisions have left me scratching my head.  First, in Game 2, Chad Green is throwing BB's, yet Boone has already decided that if Springer bats, he's bringing in Otovino.  Springer goes yard.  You manage in the moment, Aaron, not in advance of the fact.  Then, in last night's Game 3, when the Yankees have LaMahieu and Judge on first and second with no outs, you let Gardner who's hitting all of a buck and a half, swing away instead of sacrificing.  Brutal.    

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

The weather in New York is going to work in favor of the Astros.  Verlander and Cole with an extra day or two of rest are going to be that much tougher.  I'm also fed up with Aaron Boone.  Two of his decisions have left me scratching my head.  First, in Game 2, Chad Green is throwing BB's, yet Boone has already decided that if Springer bats, he's bringing in Otovino.  Springer goes yard.  You manage in the moment, Aaron, not in advance of the fact.  Then, in last night's Game 3, when the Yankees have LaMahieu and Judge on first and second with no outs, you let Gardner who's hitting all of a buck and a half, swing away instead of sacrificing.  Brutal.    

I don’t like what the Astros are doing; their aces will only have three days of rest. They’ve won two. Why not have these guys fully rested for 6 and 7? Secondly, if this goes 7, do you really want a bullpen game in game 7? You’re assuming Boone is making these decisions. It might be the GM. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I don’t like what the Astros are doing; their aces will only have three days of rest. They’ve won two. Why not have these guys fully rested for 6 and 7? Secondly, if this goes 7, do you really want a bullpen game in game 7? You’re assuming Boone is making these decisions. It might be the GM. 

I'm guessing its the analytics crew.  These days, baseball runs on statistics and probability.  Those who wish to manage by feel, experience and...yes...hunches, a.k.a. managing by the seat of your pants, need not apply.