ghost of miles

Play ball! 2019 MLB season thread

232 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, BERIGAN said:

I also read somewheres the horrible (in my book) Whitey Herzog

I read White Rat back in the day and found it to be, as expected, a deeply entertaining egomaniacal rant. Recommended!

A crazy man, who had it in for the Mets for whom he was head of player development. He was probably upset that the Mets didn’t hire him as Manager when Gil died. Not doing so was obviously a mistake. 

7 hours ago, BERIGAN said:

they should just move the team to Vegas now, but they won't

Is Montreal still in the cards, or was that a hoax?  Or was the Montreal story about Tampa?

Went to the Phillies/Braves game last night, my first in-person game of the season.  Was a one-run game until late, then the Phllies hit a HR and ended up winning 9-5.  JT Realmuto looks like a real player for the Phillies.  Harper didn't get a hit, and my local friends have mixed feelings about his value based on how much they pay him.  Phillies need better pitching before they're going to do much, I think.

pC8pTqy.jpg

It was German heritage night too, so of course the Phanatic had to dance to accordion music.

napQhXa.jpg

I wasn't happy when the Astros moved to the AL involuntarily, but now that I've moved to the Philly area, at least I can continue to root for them in the AL and the Phillies in the NL.

Edited by Aggie87

Looks the NL WC is going down to the wire.  Mets and Phils are 2 behind Cubs and Brewers. 

Mets and Brewers have tough series against LA and Saint Louis, respectively, while Cubs have the Bucs. Phillies oddly have the night off but then face Boston.  

Phillies have a tough schedule the rest of the way. Brewers after this weekend have an easy one whereas Cubs need to play Cardinals 6 times. After this weekend, the Mets schedule let’s up.

If I had to handicap the rest of the way, my choice would be Brewers for the WC, followed by Mets, Cubs and Phils. Yelich’s loss is the wild card, so to speak.

Edited by Brad

Tribe basically needed a sweep against Twins, down by 3.5 with about 14 to play. They lost Saturday afternoon 2 - 0, and are well on their way to losing the evening contest (9 - 5 after 8, Minny grand slam to break 5-5 tie, ugh). Clevinger pitched great in the afternoon (8 IP, 2R, 10K), but no offense. Evening game pitched by the bullpen -- Clippard (ouch), Carrasco (far from back), Cimber (double ouch), etc. A nice illustration of ownership being cheap (Michael Brantley, anyone?), and too many injuries (Kluber, Carrasco, Clevinger, J Ramirez, Hand, Naquin, Zimmer). Wildcard seems unlikely now. At least they briefly led the division after trailing by 11+ games, and the emergence in the rotation of Bieber, Plesac, and Civale suggests continued success after Bauer and perhaps Kluber relocate.

Of much less consequence, but the Yankees and Twins are also neck-and-neck in the race to set the new MLB team HR record (which was just set anew last year when the Yankees hit 267). NY’s at 285 with 150 games played, the Twins at 283 with 148 games played. Both teams on pace to end up with 300 or more, which is insane. And the Yankees have been without Giancarlo Stanton for almost the entire season (1 HR in 9 games), while Aaron Judge has missed significant time as well (he's fifth on the team in HRs, behind Torres, Sanchez, LeMahieu, and Gardner). Crazy year.

Edited by ghost of miles