ghost of miles

Play ball! 2019 MLB season thread

388 posts in this topic

What about Brazilian Rules Nutterball?

40 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

The point of the additional comment was that it's the first time that it's happened in any sport with a 7-game series, not just baseball.

Just wanted to give credit to one of the hardest working members of the board.

58 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

Just wanted to give credit to one of the hardest working members of the board.

The member without whose input I would not be able to become the ruthlessly efficient powerhouse of a CFL bettor that I am today!

Thank you guys!  I'm pulling for the Nats tonight.  The Senators were my favorite team in 1959-60, and I named my two goldfish Harmon and Camilo.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Thank you guys!  I'm pulling for the Nats tonight.  The Senators were my favorite team in 1959-60, and I named my two goldfish Harmon and Camilo.

The Killer! He was a hero of mine when he played for the Twins in the mid-sixties. Enjoy the game!

Go Nats!! Gonna be crazy here in DC tonight if they can pull this off.

So the Nats .... congrats to all supporters here .... 

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

So the Nats .... congrats to all supporters here .... 

soulpope, I support athletics, but I'm not what you would call an athletic supporter!

Well I went to bed when Greinke made short work of the sixth inning. So certainly surprised at the final result but even if hindsight is 20/20 there's just no reason to take Greinke out and really absolutely no reason to take Greinke out for someone name Will Harris, of 9 innings of work all season. If you're gonna die do it with your best guys on the mound.  And that doesn't mean Cole necessarily though with a lead I'd have had him work the 8th.  

In game 7 with a lead your best guy comes out of the bullpen first which means Osuna.  And really I don't think anyone would have hassled Hinch if Greinke had given up the second home run so I go back to, why pull him at 80 pitches with a lead?

We are World Champions!!

Congrats to the Nats!

Eliminate all Gnats!

And greatly reduce all Saturated Fats!

(in your diet, that is...)

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Well I went to bed when Greinke made short work of the sixth inning. So certainly surprised at the final result but even if hindsight is 20/20 there's just no reason to take Greinke out and really absolutely no reason to take Greinke out for someone name Will Harris, of 9 innings of work all season. If you're gonna die do it with your best guys on the mound.  And that doesn't mean Cole necessarily though with a lead I'd have had him work the 8th.  

In game 7 with a lead your best guy comes out of the bullpen first which means Osuna.  And really I don't think anyone would have hassled Hinch if Greinke had given up the second home run so I go back to, why pull him at 80 pitches with a lead?

Hindsight is certainly 20/20, but I also think Greinke should've been given a longer leash. The guy has ice in his veins and had been dominant up until that point. Hinch said afterward that he'd rather pull him one pitch too soon than one pitch too late, but his pitch count was still reasonable and he'd pitched into the 9th inning just a month ago before losing a no-hitter. 

The timing of going to the bullpen aside, I can't fault Hinch too much for going with Harris before Osuna. Harris had been better than Osuna in the postseason - he hadn't surrendered a run until Game 6. But he had been used a lot, and there's some after-the-fact speculation now that he was simply running on fumes as the Series neared its end.

Anyway, congrats to the Nats on a well-deserved championship. A truly memorable season that came down to two teams who both did so many unprecedented things, culminating in a Series with no home wins and the Nats with a ridiculous five successive elimination games in which they were behind and came back to win. I read somewhere that no team had come back from being down so far below .500 at the beginning of the season to win the Series since the 1914 "Miracle" Braves. 

Looking forward to next season with a likely Astros starting rotation of Verlander, Greinke, a healthy McCullers, and Urquidy. But that's a topic for the hot stove thread. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Congrats to the Nats!

Eliminate all Gnats!

And greatly reduce all Saturated Fats!

(in your diet, that is...)

Those last two games were keepers -- very gripping.