Play ball! 2019 MLB season thread

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

It's strange 3:53 pm and nothing involving the Sox or Yankees have hit the wires. I know a lot of stuff usually gets done right up to the deadline and reporting isn't done until after 4 pm but still ... its very quiet for the AL East.

Don't think it matters much now with Houston landing Greinke.  They just made themselves the favorite to represent the American League in the WS, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Don't think it matters much now with Houston landing Greinke.  They just made themselves the favorite to represent the American League in the WS, in my opinion.

I was just coming here to say "its an OK trade deadline, now the Astros will kick the Yankees butts and keep them out of the World Series ." :g

Can't believe they made two blockbuster trades for elite pitchers two out of three years. They must really think they were robbed in the ALCS. 

There were some big deals but only one, it seems, involving a bonafide contender.  I thought the Yankees would at least obtain someone like Robbie Ray but perhaps teams asking too much combined with the Yankees believing that Severino would be back in September convinced them that they should hang onto their chips. 

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

That's a big deal.  They also traded for catcher Martin Maldonado, who was with them last year for a while.  Good defensive catcher, but a liability batting - just like Max Stassi was.   And they also traded for Aaron Sanchez from the Blue Jays, so a busy day for the 'Stros.

I still think they should've kept Charlie Morton, might not have needed to make the trade for Greinke.  

I’m not as pessimistic as some Yankee fans are. Yes, it would have helped big time had they gotten a starter but their SP is not terrible and if they get Severino back, it will be like acquiring a starter. Moreover, they don’t need their starters to go seven because of their bullpen and if they get Betances back, it will that much better. Obviously, I’d like to have three terrific starters like the Astros do but I wouldn’t count the Yankees out. 

Edited by Brad

Not buying for a second that Tribe wanted to unload Bauer due to emotional hysterics. Immediately after most recent meltdown he apologized completely and sincerely. Anyone actually paying attention to Tribe this year (minus Kluber, Carrasco, and Clevinger for long stretches) recognize that TB was a total workhorse. Perhaps not quite as effective as last year, but still a total stud. This deal was only about one thing: $$$. Having a cheapass owner unwilling to pay $18M next year. And the assets they received appear to be an attempt to patch the massive hole created when they were unwilling to pay Brantley. Bauer actually was a highly useful teammate to Bieber and Clevinger. Hopefully they won't miss having him around.

47 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Not buying for a second that Tribe wanted to unload Bauer due to emotional hysterics. Immediately after most recent meltdown he apologized completely and sincerely. Anyone actually paying attention to Tribe this year (minus Kluber, Carrasco, and Clevinger for long stretches) recognize that TB was a total workhorse. Perhaps not quite as effective as last year, but still a total stud. This deal was only about one thing: $$$. Having a cheapass owner unwilling to pay $18M next year. And the assets they received appear to be an attempt to patch the massive hole created when they were unwilling to pay Brantley. Bauer actually was a highly useful teammate to Bieber and Clevinger. Hopefully they won't miss having him around.

You mean there are owners out there as cheap as the Wilpons (Mets owners)? No way! :lol:

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yesterday and today, the Braves added two middle relievers and a closer to their bullpen.  Solid players.  I'm impressed. 

The Braves have been hitting the cover off the ball, but our bullpen was a glaring weakness.  Now, not so much.

Should make for an interesting stretch-run!  :tup    

I was a bit disturbed that the braves gave up 21-year-old lefty Kolby Allard for a 33 year old 2 month rental (Chris Martin) but, I think the thought was who knows who the braves could get today. Martin has only walked 4 guys all season, and that is very important with our walk happy bullpen. 

Getting the Tigers closer is HUGE! Luke Jackson has been trying his best, but just isn't a closer. And getting Mark Melancon for next to nothing (but braves have to pay his steep salary next year)  is also a very nice get....we see how teams more and more can just run a starter in the playoffs for 3-4 innings, then go to the bullpen, that just wasn't going to be possible with the bullpen of July...

Dodgers are clearly the best team in the NL,  but...their bullpen is suspect, as is Kenley Jansen, hit fastball/cutter are not nearly quick as they used to be. his 3.67 ERA is by far the highest of his career...and the braves have been just amazing this year, from the 7th inning on.

No more trades possible so let's get some predictions going for the last two months:

Red Sox: I feel like 10 games over .500 is their level, and anything near 15 games over their kryptonite. They miss the playoffs.

Yankees, Indians and Astros win their divisions. Astros for the World Series.

Braves in the East, Cubs in the Central though that may be wishful hoping more than rational belief. 

So Sale couldn't finish off the Yankees last weekend, and now he can't stop the bleeding. What a fucking joke.

I revise my recent comment: 10 games above .500 is their kryptonite, 5-7 above is their level. Supremely, pathetically, embarrassingly average.  When they finally give up, the call ups will probably be so sad that the final record is right around 81 wins.

On 8/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, Aggie87 said:

And they also traded for Aaron Sanchez from the Blue Jays, so a busy day for the 'Stros.

Sanchez was outstanding in his first start in an Astros uniform today - a no-hitter through six innings and only three baserunners allowed (two walks and a hit batter). Was kinda surprised they didn't send him back out for the seventh, but he was at 92 pitches and apparently hadn't gone more than 5 2/3 innings in any of his recent starts. 

There's something about both jazz and baseball that links them.  Like, no matter how constraining "the rules" may be (90' between bases, blues changes) on any given day something can happen that has never happened before.

Steve Wallace is a top-rank jazz bass player, and a fine writer about both (and wine, but later for that...).  His musing about Yogi Berra, written just for a couple of us -- he'll let me send it out, so I shall -- led to a chat about catchers/bassists, which I'll share first.

"Yeah, for sure a lot of parallels. We’ve talked about this before, Ted, and Merv, too. I should probably do a blog on it because the connections are both interesting and funny. Like, catchers have their “tools of ignorance” – mask, shin guards, chest-protector, huge glove - and bassists have the doghouse itself, plus the amp now. And the stuff with the hands and body, the wear-and-tear. When a catcher is really doing his job, you barely notice him, ditto bassists. Catchers have to handle pitchers who struggle with control, bassists have to handle drummers who struggle with tempo. And after all the stuff they do, catchers are expected to get in there and hit as well as anybody else, whereas bassists are expected to solo after playing 40 or 50 choruses of quarter notes, with very little meat left on the bone as it were. I’m a good defensive bassist – i.e. playing in the rhythm section – but as a soloist I’m batting about .250."

Nah, Steve...you're a solid .350 at least...

I'll put the Yogi piece up separately, to save your eyes if you're not interested in the pure baseball side of Steve Wallace...