Any *early* Pink Floyd fans? (67-72 era)

Rooster_Ties

I'm going to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets band tomorrow while I'm here in St. Louis (because I'm in town to visit my dad, tickets purchased months ago).

And I've got tix to see Nick Mason's group again in DC in about 3 weeks -- the only time I'll have ever  gone to hear the same rock show twice in different cities on the same tour.

I've been an on again, off again Pink Floyd fan (all eras) since about 1987 my freshman year of college. And I even bought that massive "Early Years" 28 CD/DVD box set a few year so ago.  "Animals" might be my favorite single Pink Floyd album, but collectively I'm the most facinated by their early 67-72 output (pre Dark Side).

Anyone else here dig early Floyd? And their pre-massive-fame output?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a fan but I did see them at a free concert in Hyde Park in 1968.  They were the headliners but others on the bill included T-Rex (who were still acoustic) and Jethro Tull who impressed me because they had a flute player who sounded a bit like Roland Kirk. (I was a jazz snob.)  

Edited by medjuck
drunkenness

The Floyd's first LP was my second LP buy ever, and I enjoyed "Interstellar Overdrive" immensely, it probably was my instroduction to free improvisation. Bought a single after that, "It would be so nice", but their song-like tracks never really caught me. Had "Umma Gumma" and played it a lot, but didn't like the course the band took after that. I got from them what I could back then, but don't listen to that type of music anymore.

Edited by mikeweil

I’m a huge Pink Floyd fan, and love pretty much every album but Piper. That album just sounds so trite to my ears. 

Wish You Were Here is my all time favorite Rock album. 

My wife and I also see Brit Floyd every year (though we’ll likely skip this year), and have actually seen them twice on the same tour. First in St. Louis, then a few months later in Kansas City. I highly recommend them, they are phenomenal. 

Oh, and my wife and I were at opening night of The Division Bell tour at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami. 

glad u went my guy, did you see tony smith there, hes managing the tour......i walked by him after the show by the sbd and it was amazing.  manager of genesis since 1973.  probably has heard 100 suppers readys.  maybe the 3rd or 4th person in the world, to hear face value/in the air- he walked right by me

Yep, big fan of the Syd Barrett years - lost interest after "Wish You Were Here". I've never actually listened to "The Wall" except for bits I've heard on the radio (not that impressed). "Interstellar Overdrive" is one of the great tracks of the 60s IMHO.

I got a drummer friend who I met in the late 70s, he'd just moved back here from France, had studied with Alan Silva for a while, considered Ayler "old fashioned", the dude was VERY much into the then new Euro Free Jazz, Sun Ra, Steve Lacy, a perfect taste-combo for today's world that was less common then, and he LOVED him some of that early improv-y Floyd. Kept trying to get me to listen to it, maybe someday I will. Bottom line - I don't know if I like it or not. But it seems like I might. If that guy dug it, if I didn't, it would not be because it was bad music or anything.

And I did find a really plowed copy of Piper once, picked it up to see what all the Syd Barrett fuss was about. To be honest, I didn't dig it at all, it seemed like a bunch of 45s that needed to be expanded into album cuts.

When it comes to mental casualties of the time, make mine Stanshall.

42 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

That’s weird! 

Do you think Wish You Were here is really that different from Dark Side? 

I didn't love it, liked it OK.  Maybe because it wasn't that different, it didn't strike me, because each of their albums up until then had been very different than the previous one.  I like Wish You Were Here and I like Animals, but nothing really past that too much.  The Wall bores me.  

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

I got a drummer friend who I met in the late 70s, he'd just moved back here from France, had studied with Alan Silva for a while, considered Ayler "old fashioned", the dude was VERY much into the then new Euro Free Jazz, Sun Ra, Steve Lacy, a perfect taste-combo for today's world that was less common then, and he LOVED him some of that early improv-y Floyd. Kept trying to get me to listen to it, maybe someday I will. Bottom line - I don't know if I like it or not. But it seems like I might. If that guy dug it, if I didn't, it would not be because it was bad music or anything.

I think this is a good place to start

Or this (especially the last three, lengthy tracks)

16 hours ago, felser said:

I didn't love it, liked it OK.  Maybe because it wasn't that different, it didn't strike me, because each of their albums up until then had been very different than the previous one.  I like Wish You Were Here and I like Animals, but nothing really past that too much.  The Wall bores me.  

Ah, I get that, I suppose. Though I do actually like The Wall, I think The Final Cut is actually the better of the two. It took the partially dark aspect of The Wall and sent it into suicidal overdrive. Not necessarily what one would call a fun listen, but truly fascinating nonetheless. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dolan said:

Ah, I get that, I suppose. Though I do actually like The Wall, I think The Final Cut is actually the better of the two. It took the partially dark aspect of The Wall and sent it into suicidal overdrive. Not necessarily what one would call a fun listen, but truly fascinating nonetheless. 

I actually prefer "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", the David Gilmour Pink Floyd Album, to those Roger Waters Pink Floyd albums.  Waters grew too dark and tuneless for me after Animals.  

5 minutes ago, felser said:

I actually prefer "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", the David Gilmour Pink Floyd Album, to those Roger Waters Pink Floyd albums.  Waters grew too dark and tuneless for me after Animals.  

Oh, no question. I prefer that one, too. Even if most fans considered it a David Gilmour solo album (which I did not). I actually think The Endless River is a masterpiece. I'd rank it as my third favorite Pink Floyd album of all time. So yeah, I'm big on post-Waters Floyd. 

On 30/03/2019 at 5:42 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Anyone else here dig early Floyd? And their pre-massive-fame output?

I'm a big fan of their first three albums from 67 to 69. But not at the time (which was too early for me), but now. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets and the soundtrack to the movie More by Barbet Schroeder, which I saw recently again after 40 years. This soundtrack is brutal. There are pastoral tracks where Pink Floyd sound more beatiful than ever (Green is the colour) and others in which they sound like a hard rock band. After that I like them only until Wish you were here. No The Wall. No sir, thank you.

I'm NO fan of The Wall, a couple of David Gilmour's brilliant songs therein notwithstanding.  I barely listen to The Wall 2-3 times a decade any more.  It's great 'aural theater' - and Roger Waters deserves an enormous amount of credit for its success and impact culturally.  But I grew completely tired of The Wall after 5 short years (after I first heard it in college, in the late 80's).

I do really love David Gilmour's solo output, and some of his Waters-less Floyd output too.  Dave's stuff after 1978 has grown on me more and more and more (but slowly) over the years.  The 1994 Gilmour-led Floyd album The Division Bell (TDB) is a good example -- I heard it in '94, but never bought a copy then (I'd moved on to jazz and 20th century classical by the early 90's).  But I did finally pick up a copy of TDB in 2003, which I rather liked, but still didn't ever listen to a ton.  Then when the 2014 mostly instrumental Floyd album The Endless River was announced, but before it came out, I started listening to The Division Bell again, and absolutely fell in love with it (only 20 years after it first came out).

Animals is probably my single favorite Floyd 'album' (as far as album experiences go), followed by Wish You Were Here.  But really, I think the early pre-Dark Side stuff is the most fascinating, and of the most interest to me overall (even if none of those earlier albums as quite as satisfying from a content/sequencing perspective.

The Final Cut is like The Wall to me -- great for what it is, but what it is isn't anything I'm interested in (nor any of Roger's solo stuff).  They're like a good play (straight-show, non-musical) -- something I'm more than happy to 'see' (hear) once ever decade or so, and then I'm good for another 10 years.

4 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I think this is a good place to start

Or this (especially the last three, lengthy tracks)

He was always pimping the album where they were on the cover with an AEC-like array of instruments. Is this like that? Part of that Filmore thing sounds not unlike the end of Pangea(?) where the guitar synth is looping in and out. That has always gotten to me, so...who is the guitarist here, and maybe Pete Cosey had ears there too?

I'm just not that much into anything "rock", haven't been for a good long while, since...1970 or so. But I got the impression that this was more than just that.

I'll put it on the list, then, thanks.