Any *early* Pink Floyd fans? (67-72 era)

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving to work this morning I happened to be tuned in to a radio station where they aired "Another Brick in The Wall". To me it most obviously was "oh, 1979 revisited" - with connotations of several specific situations and evenings back then. I wonder how many other listeners would have taken it to be of totally "undefinable", "timeless" vintage and would not have reacted like "oh, that's been around before" at the very least.

31 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Driving to work this morning I happened to be tuned in to a radio station where they aired "Another Brick in The Wall". To me it most obviously was "oh, 1979 revisited" - with connotations of several specific situations and evenings back then. I wonder how many other listeners would have taken it to be of totally "undefinable", "timeless" vintage and would not have reacted like "oh, that's been around before" at the very least.

I don't know that all of The Wall is equally 'dated' -- but "Another Brick..." certainly is.  And to my ears, The Wall (or Roger Waters' 70% of it) is largely and substantially different than 90% of what preceded it in the band's canon.  To be honest, I think The Wall mostly deserves to be filed on the shelf under 'W' with the rest of Roger's solo output, the difference is so stark musically.  I barely listen to The Wall 3x per decade at this point (if that even).  It's a monumental album, and Roger deserves every credit for its great success.  But on musical terms, little of it does a whole lot for me -- save for the couple signature tunes that David Gilmour wrote -- but even then, I find them marred by Roger's lyrics -- which I personally think sound awkward in Dave's voice.

Roger might be the better lyricist -- perhaps even by a mile -- but I find his post-Animals lyrical output something more akin to that of a playwright.  The Wall, and The Final Cut, and all of Roger's solo albums might be quite interesting to hear (or rather, experience), like a good stage play -- something I only need hear ('see') every 5 or 10 or even 15 years.  Whereas the music and lyricism of Dave's soaring guitar, and lovely voice - is something I'm quite happy to hear a few times in the same week (even the very same album), when I'm in the mood for that.

6 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

By "timeless" I mean it doesn't sound like it came from any particular era. You don't listen to Wish You Were Here and say, "well, that's obviously mid 70's Rock". 

I think most people, listening to it, would almost certainly say "that's old people music" or maybe "that's old white people music" (not to say Anglocentric!)

Edited by Guy Berger

And some might say "preposterous, pretentious, self-referential and over-produced, Anglocentric music". Some others wouldn't, naturally :lol:

To me, it's forever the soundtrack to a time when the UK wasn't showing it's best side...

In the same year some of us were listening to 'London Calling' and defending that against accusations of  "preposterous, pretentious, self-referential and over-produced". Happy days indeed.

5 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

One tune. And likely because of how ubiquitous it was, and still is really. 

I stand by my claim, and at least two others have agreed, so it's not like I'm just pulling it out of my ass. 

22 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

And some might say "preposterous, pretentious, self-referential and over-produced, Anglocentric music". Some others wouldn't, naturally :lol:

To me, it's forever the soundtrack to a time when the UK wasn't showing it's best side...

In the same year some of us were listening to 'London Calling' and defending that against accusations of  "preposterous, pretentious, self-referential and over-produced". Happy days indeed.

I dutifully own both, don't have any particular need to actually listen to either.   Much more likely to pull this 1979 landmark out to give a spin.  Ah ah, beep beep!

Bad Girls LP.jpg

Nobody said you were, Scott D.. But there are lots of other listeners out there who might or might not agree.

Some agree with you here, Guy Berger seems to agree more with my impressions. No point counting here. Much too small a sample.

No final word possible. Just personal opinions.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

One tune. And likely because of how ubiquitous it was, and still is really. 

I stand by my claim, and at least two others have agreed, so it's not like I'm just pulling it out of my ass. 

I'd be curious (if you're willing to share) what your age is, relative to the median ages of the US (~38)