Any *early* Pink Floyd fans? (67-72 era)

Rooster_Ties

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I think Pink Floyd pretty much cornered the market as far as their own little subgenre is concerned. Similar to Santana in that regard. 

Hawkwind was definitely in that space, but came on the radar a little bit later.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Was Soft Machine ever in that place, even for a little bit, or were they more outright "jazz-rock"-ish (albeit in their own way) from jump? The two Probe albums...no way for me to ascertain what they were doing live from those...surety not that?

Soft Machine was in that space at the beginning, a Canturbury scene group, when Kevin Ayers was in the group and Mike Ratledge had all the solo space and Robert Wyatt was singing a lot (first album), and still when Hugh Hopper replaced Ayers (second album).  You can get an idea by listening to "Moon in June" on Third, and imagine it without the horns.   There is a fair amount of BBC and other recordings of the early Soft Machine available, including earlier "Moon in June".  Their Third album was a transition, and by their Fourth album, they were totally a jazz-rock group.  Some of the other Canturbury scene groups, such as Caravan, did nice extended things with lots of organ.  Caravan's  "Nine Feet Undergound" is amazing.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gong I knew pretty well from thear "trilogy" the teap[ot album and such. But weren't they a wee bit after the earliest Floyd? Or not? And the stuff I know isn't heavy on electronics as such?

God, that was a long time ago that I listened to all that...1976 or so. 43 years!

51 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Gong I knew pretty well from thear "trilogy" the teap[ot album and such. But weren't they a wee bit after the earliest Floyd? Or not? And the stuff I know isn't heavy on electronics as such?

God, that was a long time ago that I listened to all that...1976 or so. 43 years!

After early Floyd and after the ultimate Can which was 68-72 or certainly the most radical Can. Can to my ears is the most innovative and exciting of all these bands. 

28 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

After early Floyd and after the ultimate Can which was 68-72 or certainly the most radical Can. Can to my ears is the most innovative and exciting of all these bands. 

There were a couple of eras of Gong.  They started out as an offshoot of Soft Machine, led by Daevid Allen, and then were taken over by Pierre Morlan, who steered them in a much more accomplished jazz-rock direction, without either the highs or lows of the Allen years.  

This thread has inspired me to finally watch this - I've owned it for years.  Music is extremely spacy (and good).

Image result for pink floyd pompeii

Best of breed, 60's SF space division (the song, not the album).  They never again recorded anything vaguely like this, though some of the live tapes from this era floating around show this influence.

7 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I do want to note the extreme dichotomy between the extremely dated sound of early, especially live, Pink Floyd vs the timelessness of their later material. It’s striking how they went from one extreme to the other. 

Agreed, good observation, but the "datedness" of the early material is part of the appeal to me.

7 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I do want to note the extreme dichotomy between the extremely dated sound of early, especially live, Pink Floyd vs the timelessness of their later material. It’s striking how they went from one extreme to the other. 

Funny .. this thread brings back memories. I never was into contemporary rock but back in 1974/75 when I got seriously into rock music (of the 50s and early 60s kind, FWIW) of course most of my high school buddies were into the then current (or recent) rock styles - hard rock, psychedelic, krautrock, whatever .... so I could not help being exposed to that too at the time (to limited personal appeal, some Cream and TYA (e.g.) excepted). The Pink Floyd albums I remember seeing and being discussed at my friends' homes were the ones initially named - Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, etc ... All titles that ring bells ... As I remember it,  their stance on on the period from Dark Side of the Moon onwards and then, of course, The Wall was that Pink Floyd had "gone commercial" and did not nearly appeal to many of them in the same way the earlier releases had.

Very likely a generational matter ...;)

SF 60's best of breed, Awesome looooong Guitar jam live at Fillmore West ("Who Do You Love") and extreme guitar psychedelia ("The Fool") by Quicksilver Messenger Service with the tremelo king, John Cippolina.

1 minute ago, Scott Dolan said:

Gone commercial! :lol:

An early adopter scorned! 

Might have been viewed differently if DSOTM had not sold a gazillion copies.   Though it is a very different record from Atom Heart Mother or Meddle.   For that matter, I have to think Wish You Were Here would have been a very different record (and would have appeared a lot sooner) if that were the case.  Though the rock music scape of 1973-1975 was utterly different than that of 1968-1970.

8 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I do want to note the extreme dichotomy between the extremely dated sound of early, especially live, Pink Floyd vs the timelessness of their later material. 

Yeah, well, let's see how timeless ANY of this shit is by this time next century....

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, well, let's see how timeless ANY of this *** is by this time next century....

We're already 50 years on.  

SF 60's best of breed, vocal space rock with lyrics to match.  

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

2119 is only 50 years away?

Not my point - and I had great math SAT's :).  If something is still of great interest 50 years after the fact, it likely can be of interest 150 years after the fact.  I would think that 150 years from now, people may well still want to know about the all-time longest charting album of the first 100 years of recorded music.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Charts? Based on sales? Like, buying records? In 2119? That will mean something to them? Like the best-selling sheet music of the 19th Century matters to everybody today?

Wow, what a future!

Let's plan to meet up in 2119 and see who's view was correct!    

11 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

My guess is both sound equally dated to most listeners today.  An 18 year old when The Wall came out is 58 years old today.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Guy Berger