Your Guide to the Treasures of Vintage Jazz

Hardbopjazz

Interesting I was wondering if there would be a Percy France discog duplicating what I've spent the last three weeks working on ... checking out the Teddy Edwards discography what the heck is this? Can't find any indication of this anywhere.

TEDDY EDWARDS QUARTET LA. 1959/1960 Teddy Edwards (ts), Gerald Wiggins (p), Joe Comfort (b), Bill Douglass (dm).

Four titles were recorded for Crown:

The Grind Pt 1 Solo 5 choruses of 12 bars. (S) The Grind Pt 2 Solo 7 choruses to coda. (SM) Across Town Soli 64, 8, 8, 64 and 48 bars to coda. (F) I’ll Get Away Soli 80 and 48 bars to coda. (SM) Miss Beat Intro 8 bars to solo 64 bars. Solo 88 bars to fade out. (M)

This is TE at his very best!! Possibly not on “Across …” which is rather messy (what sort of superviser did Crown use, none at all?), but the other three items have much groovy and swinging tenorsax playing to offer, my favourite is the first part of “The Grind”, plus some fine piano playing.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-9597544-1518554647-3139.jpeg.jpg R-5628406-1490499250-2509.jpeg.jpg

So, basically, Crown just didn't give a damn how they sold those records, they just put them out there for you to pick up with your groceries, tires, and/or laxatives.

So on these Teddy is the main soloist on three of the tunes listed and he doesn't get a mention on the cover? Talk about not giving a damn ...

Edit to add: Was Criss even on any of these numbers or did they misidenitfy him when its definitely Teddy?

Edited again to add: Listened to the Grind and even though I suck at the BFT game that sure as hell sounds like Teddy to me.

Edited by Dan Gould