Amazon searches gone haywire?

David Ayers

There have been news reports that Amazon has changed their search engine results to reflect the following:

• Giving premium space to Amazon products, regardless of the search request
  • Giving premium space to companies that pay Amazon for the superior placement (with Amazon pretty much demanding that they do so)
  • Giving inferior placement to companies/products that don't pay Amazon, again regardless of the search request.

What this means is that you may have to go a few pages into search results before you find what you were looking for.

Good job it’s not a pipe. 

43 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I don't know about Amazon UK, though I do occasionally use it, but Amazon USA has been haywire like that for me for several years now.  Sometimes it's a real effort to find something that I know is in print and still available.

As crazy as it may seem, there have been items which I have found on Amazon only through a Google search. The same item could not be located at all using the Amazon search. It is beyond belief.

Edited by David Ayers

I've found that also.  They flood the results with "Sponsored" products, and sometimes the "Amazon Choice" third party seller for a product is more expensive than others, with no additional benefit offsetting the extra expense.  I've also found their CD prices rising in general, both Amazon itself and third party sellers, and have bought very little from them in many months, the bulk of my business going to ebay for new CD's and ebay or discogs for used CD's.

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Good job it’s not a pipe. 

Oh, it may well be one: :D

Available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1950-1951-Lars-Gullin-DOMNERUS/dp/B00008YGVY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=arne+domnerus+rolf+ericson+dragon+381&qid=1554401979&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

And on amazon.co.uk to boot! :lol:

35436653ns.jpg

4 minutes ago, felser said:

... I've also found their CD prices rising in general, both Amazon itself and third party sellers, and have bought very little from them in many months, the bulk of my business going to ebay for new CD's and ebay or discogs for used CD's.

And they're increasingly sneaking in higher shipping fees, in the high $4s rather than standard $3.99. Agreed on both new and used CDs. Have greatly upped my purchases from discogs, and have resumed ordering from importcds.