What non-musical recording are you listening to?

duaneiac

Since not all recorded works focus on music, it's time to initiate a thread devoted to those "Miscellaneous" recordings.

First up, an album I discovered at the public library several years ago.  I was thrilled to discover Loren Schoenberg had uploaded it to YouTube last year.  It's a double LP of Coleman Hawkins sitting around talking about his life and career with Bill Grauer and Paul Bacon in 1956.  Some interesting stuff and it's just great to hear a jazz giant just shooting the breeze like this.

51OZe8WZzML._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg   61poniLEtzL._SX342_.jpg

Two in a series of well produced audio dramas, complete with musical scores and sound effects, which tell stories based upon characters from the old Dark Shadows TV series.  Most of the productions feature one or more actors from the original series. The late Jonathan Frid gave his final performance as the immortal (literally) Barnabas Collins in one of these dramas.  The conveniently named Andrew Collins assumes that role on the above disc.

• 2 weeks later...

71ZqBS986hL._SY355_.jpg

Discs 1 and 2 of 4.  The humor of Bob & Ray just hits my funny bone dead target.  I have a lot of their stuff which has been released on CD and this set has all the memorable characters like Harry & Mary Backstayge, Mr. Science, Biff Burns, Wally Ballou, Ralph R. Kreuger, Jr. and Elmer W. Litzinger, Spy.

• 1 month later...

y648.jpg

The audio version of Pete Holmes' new book.  The title is not how the author views himself.  The publisher describes this memoir thus, " Comedy Sex God is celebration of losing something to find something else -- a void that became a door to spiritual exploration -- a glorious journey into the mind-blowing unknown that never would have begun if your wife hadn't cheated with a guy named Rocco."

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

For Halloween, one of my favorite old radio tales of terror.  Imagine you are one of a small group of men operating a lighthouse on a tiny island, cut off from the rest of the world.  One day a  shipwrecked craft brings you unexpected visitors -- hundreds, thousands of ravenous rats who begin devouring everything on the desolate island.  Perhaps their next meal will be you!

Talking of Halloween, this is an interesting one, which I enjoyed hearing again. Audio recreation of an imaginary 60s TV play which was wiped. Fortunately, they were able to find and use the BBC Radiophonic sound effects.

Scared the bejeezus of half the population back in the day ! 

The Road

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 months later...