GA Russell

Dez Records

cover-2a2ca0b4e59b44498b1d7076ab4e8e40-f

Nick Papadakis
"Just A Gigolo"

Impacting: March 26 2019

Format(s): Jazz, Smooth Jazz

Added by KKJZ-Los Angeles

KKJZ DJ Bubba Jackson- "you need to listen to this, its different, its unique and Nick has something you're not going to find anywhere else, listen to that voice"!

NICK PAPADAKIS

“Success is in the attempt." Those are the wise words given to rising jazz vocalist Nick Papadakis by his acting coach Richard Lepore while Nick was tirelessly pursuing his dream of a career in entertainment. Years later Nick has released his debut as a solo artist with an EP entitled Some Times. This EP has been long awaited in Nick’s long career in entertainment. Some Times is a 5-track collection of jazz standards with an updated sound and feeling.
Nick’s love for music began early on. At age of 6, Nick knew he wanted to become a jazz singer when his parents bought a stereo and his father told him to listen to a Frank Sinatra album. After listening to it front to back, Nick knew his destined career path. “He was just so damn cool,” Nick says about the legendary Sinatra. In addition to being inspired by Sinatra, Nick also was also inspired by the great vocal range of Sam Cooke and the smooth seductive originality of Smokey Robinson.

Nick took singing lessons, and voice acting instruction, taking voice-over jobs for commercials, documentaries, television and radio, podcasts, industrial video and more. In addition, he formed a band and performed around L.A. where he developed his dapper stage presence. "I had to work harder and longer hours than ever before. My story and the sacrifices I made to work to achieve my dream, which is, to earn the privilege to sing for a live audience and make a genuine connection with the people. For me, it is an all or nothing life decision achievement. And none of it has come easily."
Nick finally linked up with celebrated veteran hit producer Mark Paladino. Mark was impressed with Nick's artistic development, moreover Mark became infected (his own words) with Nick's passion and commitment to do this project. He genuinely perceived Nick's do or die commitment and Mark came to believe that Nick could and would deliver.

Here are but a few of Mark's professional credits: He was lead singer and song writer for the popular L.A. based power pop group The Makers. Mark worked with Paul Fishkin to help produce Billie Idol, Bernie Taupin, Stevie Nicks, Montell Jordan, Tupac Shakur to name just a few. Mark's work with Stevie Nicks earned the record label a platinum record as well as many other gold records made possible by Mark's work.

Nick and Mark began working together. This is where the magic happened; it was during this time that Nick found his signature voice as a solo artist and developed his unique sound. “I think it was an expression that had always been there but was chained up. Essentially, it was the real me coming out,” he says.  

This is evident on Nick’s new EP Some Times, where for instance, he covers Nancy Wilson's single “Rain Sometimes,” but his version borrows from the style of Matt Monro’s 1967 version (via the quicker tempo). Nick’s version, though, features a smooth jazz piano, giving it an overall, undeniable air of “cool.” The next song is “Just A Gigolo” which is paired in a medley with another old standard “I Ain’t Got Nobody,” much like the version done by Louis Prima in 1956. Track three on the EP is the oft-covered jazz classic “Summertime” made popular by the likes of Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and Willie Nelson. Nick’s version, however, has its own soulful swing, complete with a twangy guitar, lush horns, and an organ solo that starts off lazy and soft then intensifies, surely leaving you to press play over and over. The fourth tune is a cover his inspiration, Frank Sinatra’s “At Long Last Love.” However, unlike the original (written by Cole Porter), Nick’s version features swingin’ saxophone and piano solos between his verses of a swooning, one of a kind vocal that builds to a crescendo, all which makes for a rousing vocal and instrumental rendition. And last but not least, Nick cover’s “Mack The Knife,” a song made popular by Bobby Darin in 1961. Originally, the song was like a solemn funeral dirge from an early 20th-century stage play called The Threepenny Opera, but Nick’s version applies a hip jazz approach compared to the previous versions. All recorded with live instrumentation, Some Times is authentically jazz and authentically genuine.

Nick Talks

"No matter what the result of this effort will be, I am grateful for passion which drove me do this project - which nearly did me in. I know that Richard Lepore's statement is true, "success is in the attempt". I was young at that time and I struggled with the meaning of this message, until my life experience made this message self evident: If there is no attempt, there can be no failure or setbacks (and I have had many). Failures and setbacks are necessary to learn how to become and remain successful. This album is the best work I have ever done and it began with an attempt."  

- Nick Papadakis

image-8f5fb33d339f45cea7a9ea6cb2f26546-f

• 2 months later...

Dez Records

cover-97919018a4664fccbb2ef0e3dbfea2b6-f

Nick Papadakis
"Summertime"

Impacting: June 21 2019

Bubba Jackson KJAZZ 88.1 FM : "You need to listen to this, it's different it's unique and Nick has something you're not going to find anywhere else, listen to that voice."

Pioneer of the jazz-pop genre Nick Papadakis covers jazz classic “Summertime” made popular by the likes of Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and Willie Nelson. Nick’s version, however, has its own soulful swing, complete with a twangy guitar, lush horns, and an organ solo that starts off lazy and soft then intensifies, surely leaving you to press play over and over.

Nick’s love for music began early on. At age of 6, Nick knew he wanted to become a jazz singer when his parents bought a stereo and his father told him to listen to a Frank Sinatra album. After listening to it front to back, Nick knew his destined career path.

Over the years Nick took singing lessons, and voice acting instruction, taking voice-over jobs for commercials, documentaries, television and radio, podcasts, industrial video and more. In addition, he formed a band and performed around L.A. where he developed his dapper stage presence. "I had to work harder and longer hours than ever before. My story and the sacrifices I made to work to achieve my dream, which is, to earn the privilege to sing for a live audience and make a genuine connection with the people. For me, it is an all or nothing life decision achievement. And none of it has come easily."

• 4 months later...

cover-6f9f2a0855734b4d9debea99230a0fb1-f

Nick Papadakis
"Rain Sometimes"

Impacting: October 23 2019

Bubba Jackson KJAZZ 88.1 FM - "You need to listen to this, it's different it's unique and Nick has something you're not going to find anywhere else, listen to that voice."

Just happened to be sippin’ on a “preferred” drink while enjoying a Cuban Cigar on the patio of a swanky lounge when they played Nick Papadakis’ “Rain Sometimes” through the crystal clear speakers…unbelievable…you have to try it to understand!

…Understand, I made my name being the force behind Hip Hop on the Radio and created the First Ever Rap Radio Station 1580 KDAY in Los Angeles which went on to become a format known as CHR/Rhythmic…Blessed with being somewhat of a “visionary”, having launched some of the biggest names in Rap, from Dr Dre to Will Smith to Queen Latifah to LL Cool J and I could go on for a few paragraphs…hearing Nick as I’ll call him, made me reminisce about the first time I heard many of those groups…like you’d discovered something new and wanted to share it with the world!

I had to meet him and was determined to do so to tell him how I thought he was a visionary…not for the future but having the vision to bring back the past in a futuristic way…I was more than surprised!

Nick played me songs that included elements of pop, jazz, and R&B together.  He had a new, current relevance and appeal with his signature voice on top of the greatest songs ever written.

He had this, “make you feel like part of the family” personality, Nick started telling me about his love of music beginning as a child, that his dad would bring him Sinatras’ music, he was very specific about it being the first one that was on Capitol Records, Nick said at that moment he knew what his destined career path would become.

He told me he took that dream and pursued it via extensive vocal and acting lessons from the best L.A. could offer and formed a band that has performed all over Southern California while developing his Craft.

Having discovered some of the biggest names in music, I always know when you look in an artists eyes and see the passion, the desire, and the drive that will take them all the way. For me, his music was a getaway and I asked him if I could write his bio, so here you go!

Hopefully you’ll discover what I already have and allow your listeners to enjoy their “preferred” whatever!

Greg Mack

“Greg Mack Show”
LA's 94.7 The WAVE

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE:

image-129ae8fccf8e4f04ab512ece250c03a7-f

icon_instagram_48x48.png

www.nickpapadakis.squarespace.com

Dez Records