Dexter Gordon "At The Subway Club 1973" (Elemental Music)

soulpope

gordon_dext_dextergor_113b.jpg

A complete previously unissued quartet performance by the great Dexter Gordon.

This fascinating concert finds Gordon at the Subway jazz club in Köln, Germany, on September 11, 1973, playing along Irv Rochlin on piano, Henk Haverhoek on bass, and Tony Inzalaco on drums.

The 2-CD edition contains a 16-page booklet with rare photographs, special essays by famed jazz producer Michael Cuscuna and by Dexter's widow, Maxine Gordon, and includes four bonus tracks.

Both are on the Dutch Jazz release of  Ben Webster Meets Piet Noordijk. (that is, piano and drums)

I wouldn't hesitate on this one when it comes to the CD but then again I have been diagnosed a Dexaholic a long time ago.

Edited by Dan Gould

44 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Henk Haverhoek a excellent dutch bass player - his credentials say a lot

Henk is a classic! He has played with pretty much any jazz player around Netherlands and Central Europe from the very early 70s.

And a very nice guy. He provided me with tons of information from his gigs with Tete Montoliu.

Another Dexaholic checking in.  Looking forward to this.  Ordered it a a couple of days ago.

Another recent Dexter CD I picked up is Dexter Gordon - In The Cave: Live At Persepolis Utrecht 1963.  Highly recommended.  It will give you a nice Dexter fix until this new one is released

In The Cave: Live At Persepolis Utrecht 1963

Edited by Ed Swinnich

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Tony Inzalaco of course was a regular percussionist with the CBBB and on a whole heap of MPS recordings from the 60s and 70s e.g. Ira Kris ‘Jazzanova’.

He was with Maynard before departing the US. That's how I first heard the name. Damn solid drummer. also worked with Slide Hampton in Europe a good deal, iirc.

Bassist here is Ron McClure, soon to be with Charles Lloyd.

Subway club:

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. WAVE

2. DIDN'T WE

3. ON THE TRAIL

4. SECRET LOVE

Disc: 2

1. IT'S YOU OR NO ONE into THE THEME

2. FRIED BANANAS

3. SOME OTHER SPRING

4. 'ROUND MIDNIGHT

5. LADY BIRD

11 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Excellent CD!!

Yes it is.  I love that they've left Dex's announcements in.   Those and the interaction with the audience during "I Wanna Blow Now" as well as the overall playing really bring this recording to life.  Makes me wish I was there shouting "Go Ahead!" in response to Dexter's "I wanna blow now".  Must have been a great noght.

• 1 month later...

Got this Friday listening now:  Excellent sound on the main set haven't gotten to the "bonus" material on disc 2. Very nice packaging good photos of Dex especially. As far as the music ... it's Dex. I'm not sure I can recognize a subpar Dex anyway.  Because it's Dex, and I love him.

5 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

I got this as well, excellent sound on the main set, but the mix is strange and Irv Rochlin is way down in it

Maybe I'm blessed with not such a great system (I listen on high-end computer speakers when home) but I noticed that mentioned in the liners and am listening to Rochlin spin out lines on On The Trail and don't feel that he is way down at all. Maybe I'm missing his comping when Dexter blows but I really don't hear it as a poor mix or that he's not sufficiently prominent especially when soloing.

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Maybe I'm blessed with not such a great system (I listen on high-end computer speakers when home) but I noticed that mentioned in the liners and am listening to Rochlin spin out lines on On The Trail and don't feel that he is way down at all. Maybe I'm missing his comping when Dexter blows but I really don't hear it as a poor mix or that he's not sufficiently prominent especially when soloing.

I don't have a great system either but the odd mix and soundstage is very apparent on my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones

On ‎05‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 7:24 PM, mjzee said:

Can't speak to the piano or bass, but Tony Inzalaco was drummer on Dex's "Stable Mable" album, recorded 3/10/75.  So if Dex played with him 1 1/2 years later, he probably liked him.

Tony Inzalaco was very much in action in Europe in the 70´s. He was or is a very very fine drummer. I saw him live on several occasions, he played very much in Vienna with the Frith Pauer Trio (Fritz Pauer p, Jimmy Woode b, Tony Inzalaco dr) and I remember an unforgettable night at Jazz Freddy: Johnny Griffin with the Fritz Pauer Trio, so I saw Tony Inzalaco with Griff , those were the days !

First spin last night ... on the Subway material (some 100 minutes, the best track is on disc two and almost half an hour long), Gordon is supremely relaxed (though the Brazilian vibe indeed is not for him). The mix is odd, but at the same time very clear.

The bonus sessions are about 25 minutes each, and I found "Round Midnight" with George Grunz on piano quite possibly the highlight of the entire set.

I wouldn't consider it essential, given that there are around seven gazillions of Dexter Gordon recordings from the seventies, but as one who never had access to sanely priced Steeplechase releases and doesn't own any of the live ones, I guess it's a worthy adition for sure. And for anyone really into LTD, I bet it is, anyway!

On 5/13/2019 at 6:59 AM, Gheorghe said:

Tony Inzalaco was very much in action in Europe in the 70´s. He was or is a very very fine drummer. I saw him live on several occasions, he played very much in Vienna with the Frith Pauer Trio (Fritz Pauer p, Jimmy Woode b, Tony Inzalaco dr) and I remember an unforgettable night at Jazz Freddy: Johnny Griffin with the Fritz Pauer Trio, so I saw Tony Inzalaco with Griff , those were the days !

I remember seeing him in Boston occasionally in the 1980s.

Here's a link to his webpage:  https://tonyinzalaco.weebly.com/bio.html