Jazz Video Guy Appeal for Contributions

Brad

I don’t know how many of you watch or subscribe to the channel operated by Bret Primack (aka the Jazz Video Guy) on YouTube but he posts a lot of good stuff.  That obviously costs money and he’s posted an appeal for donations for those who may be interested in contributing. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

...obviously costs money...

Really? How much money? Is he paying for source material? Is he paying any royalties out, or anything like that? Does he have significant production costs?

I mean, he says he's going to keep doing it no matter what, so it must not cost THAT much.

I get that he's turning 70 and his gig is teaching at a community college in Arizona: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bret-primack-5804a44

And I get that the jazz life in any form is not even a feeder road to ran access road to the road to financial security. But it seems that the premise here is not that he needs money to keep the Jazz Video Guy Channel going, it's that he maybe needs money to keep Bret Primack going. And I hope he does keep going, but...seriously?

If you're just going to give shit away on the internet as a favor, hey, that's a REALLY poor investment/retirement strategy.

If there's a lesson for us here, it's that love does not pay for itself, ever.

I posted this as a FYI and probably should have said that what he does "apparently" rather than "obviously" but should have known better -- as in I shouldn't have bothered -- as everything turns into a big debate.

I will likely be reducing my time posting at Organissimo. 

Edited by Brad

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I will likely be reducing my time posting at Organissimo. 

Brad, I would respectfully ask that you don't do that. Keep sharing your thoughts and ideas on this board. 

Re: giving to the Jazz Video Guy: If people want to give, they'll give. If they don't, they won't.

Don't take anything personally beyond that.

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Brad, I would respectfully ask that you don't do that. Keep sharing your thoughts and ideas on this board. 

Re: giving to the Jazz Video Guy: If people want to give, they'll give. If they don't, they won't.

Don't take anything personally beyond that.

Thanks. By the way, I hope you are feeling better. 

Sounds interesting, Brad. I have not come across this guy's videos. Must check him out.

I won't be sending any money, but asking for donations, for free software, video collections, various ministries, etc., is extremely common. I see it all the time. Nothing out of the ordinary about it.

This raises the point that, in the last 10 years or so, hundreds of amazing videos of jazz perfornances have been posted online. Recently, I found a corrected video of Ahmad Jamal's trio (yes, THAT one) playing "Darn That Dream". That is right in the pocket. My favorite part is when Ahmad bangs out D flats in octaves in the bass and there are short gaps and the drums come back real slick. Don't miss that one.