Mark Stryker at Newport?!?

I received the new issue of JazzTimes today and caught Mark Stryker's name at the very bottom of the ad for the Newport Jazz Festival.  I don't know if they meant Dave Stryker, Mark is giving some kind of presentation or there is a musician named Mark Stryker.  At any rate, I had to post it here.

77lnTb.jpg

It's indeed Mark Stryker--something to do with his new book Made In Detroit, which is coming out this summer.  He and I are going to do a two-part Night Lights show about the book as well--obviously small potatoes compared to a Newport appearance!  But I'm excited to read it.

Here's Mark's post about it on Facebook several weeks ago:

"Never did I imagine that my first time at the Newport Jazz Festival would be not as a member of the press but as part of the bill. I’ll be there in August presenting about my book “Jazz from Detroit,” which will be published this summer. I’m the last name on the graphic."

Edited by ghost of miles

Thanks for everybody's interest. Yes, I'm doing a presentation on "Jazz from Detroit" at Newport on Friday, Aug. 2. In the original ad/graphic the billing was Mark Stryker: "Jazz from Detroit," so you could tell that it probably wasn't a musical act. But in this new Jazz Times/Downbeat ad, it just gives my name along with everyone else so it looks like I'm on the bill as a musician. Amusing -- definitely one for the scrapbook.

The book will be up for pre-order soon. I'll keep everyone posted when the details come into focus.

Stand by.

Edited by Mark Stryker

On 9.4.2019 at 3:19 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Thanks for everybody's interest. Yes, I'm doing a presentation on "Jazz from Detroit" at Newport on Friday, Aug. 2. In the original ad/graphic the billing was Mark Stryker: "Jazz from Detroit," so you could tell that it probably wasn't a musical act. But in this new Jazz Times/Downbeat ad, it just gives my name along with everyone else so it looks like I'm on the bill as a musician. Amusing -- definitely one for the scrapbook.

The book will be up for pre-order soon. I'll keep everyone posted when the details come into focus.

Stand by.

This may be a silly question or one with an all too obvious answer to those in the know but how does your book complement "Before Motown"? Or to put it another way, what period and/or what main topics does your book cover primarily?

33 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

This may be a silly question or one with an all too obvious answer to those in the know but how does your book complement "Before Motown"? Or to put it another way, what period and/or what main topics does your book cover primarily?

Not silly at all. Very different books in terms of period covered, style and content. "Before Motown" covers 1900 to 1960 and the focus is the development of  jazz in Detroit with emphasis on who played with whom, the progression of clubs, names, dates etc

My book chronicles Detroit's pivotal role in shaping the wider course of modern and contemporary jazz from the 1940s until the present day. The core of the book is comprised of more than two dozen in-depth profiles of key Detroit-bred musicians -- among them Gerald Wilson, Yusef, Burrell, Byrd, Fuller, Barry Harris, Hank, Thad, Elvin, JoeHen, Ron Carter, Charles McPherson, Belgrave, Geri Allen, Kenny Garrett, Gerald Cleaver, Karriem Riggins etc --  but it also includes thematic chapters that connect the dots between musicians, eras, Detroit's rise and fall as an industrial power and self-determination efforts like Tribe and Strata. The book identifies traits that define a Detroit approach the music and shows how the city became a jazz juggernaut at mid-century and then how it sustained its influence as a jazz power, even as the city lost economic power and population.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Thanks for that info. So those two books look like they are complementary. I do own "Before Motown" and upon receiving it read it from start to end and (though I've never been to Detroit, of course) was extremely impressed by its thoroughness and attention to detail as it fills gaps in areas that evidently had been overlooked or bypassed in the documented wider picture of jazz (though later on I found that it does have gaps - there used to be a website - now defunct, it seems - that had lots of private pictures from the mid-century period covering not only African-American artists and had a somewhat larger emphasis on unsung white combos and bigger bands). Will be on the lookout for yours.