Is Henri Shea correct name

itforsenior

Probably the Swiss pianist Henri Chaix. (On-ree Shecks) I'd say it's from the "Jive At Five" release from Sackville SKCD2-2035. 

Arild Wideroe is a Swiss concert promoter and producer who is a big fan of the late Chaix, and recorded that concert.  Wideroe has assembled an indispensable discography of Swiss jazz. 

1 hour ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Probably the Swiss pianist Henri Chaix. (On-ree Shecks)

Excellent. I should have thought of something/somebody along those lines. Reading the phonetic "transcription" above I was trying to figure out who (among non-Anglosaxon pianists, given the "Henri" instead of "Henry") this announcer might have meant but who'da thunk his pronounciation of the family name was THAT far off the mark.

Through Arild Wideroe and John Norris of Sackville I met the pianist.  His name-pronunciation was as I mentioned.  He was a Swiss-French citizen (from Geneva), so perhaps that accounts for the variation...

He was a very fine swing/stride pianist, both as a soloist and bandsman...knew lots of tunes, led bands of varying sizes.  Active from the mid-40s till his death in the late 90s.  Played and recorded with lots of folks, including Sidney Bechet, Albert Nicholas, Bill Coleman, Oscar Klein, Stuff Smith, Buck Clayton, Rex Stewart, Ben Webster, Benny Carter and of course, many well-known Euro artists.