I just want to be able to list and sort what I own (artist, album title, genre) with as little time/effort as possible, not worried about individual songs, record labels, year, personnel. etc.   Is there any package out there that makes sense for me?

3 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Too bad they don't have a one month free option, just to try if it would fit my needs.

The Collectorz app is free to download and $15 to unlock the full version.  The free version is limited to 100 albums, a drop in the bucket, but that might be enough to test it out.

Edit: I just tried the Discogs app, which seems pretty easy to use.  I'll probably add things when I have a few minutes here and there; however, my physical collection is in a disorganized state and I should prioritize working on that.

Edited by Justin V

49 minutes ago, Justin V said:

The Collectorz app is free to download and $15 to unlock the full version.  The free version is limited to 100 albums, a drop in the bucket, but that might be enough to test it out.

Does it work for apple computer too? I am too old for the small screen of cell phone.

18 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Does it work for apple computer too? I am too old for the small screen of cell phone.

It does. It's a good solution, I've been using it for 15 years now. I don't like the web version (Music Connect) that much, but the desktop one is good. Allows you for a decent degree of customization (e.g. I made custom tick boxes like "OOP" and I can sort my collection to show only the OOP items... or only the ones bought directly from the artists... or only the ones bought in 2019). Their development team is responsive too - I sent them a few suggestions over the years, and most of them were eventually implemented.    

Edited by Д.Д.

7 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Thanks! Seems it has more personal flexibility, all the informations you add are readily available for search and file, correct?

On the desktop the info is very easy to search, sort, and gives you the ability to pull some data. 

28mfpyg.jpg

2 minutes ago, John L said:

Does Collectorz store information on musicians playing on the records in a searchable manner?  For example, I want to see all the albums in my collection that Sam Jones plays bass on.   

Yes - if you input the data on individual musicians, of course. 

1 hour ago, John L said:

Thanks, Д.Д.  

I had a program called CATRAXX for many years, but they discontinued it.  I had tons of information there, can't access it any more.   

I remember CATRAXX, I tried it way back when, but I liked Collectorz more and settled on it.  

Edited by Д.Д.

For my experience until now, the main problems with discogs is the same of many internet things: although a knownledge based of free contributors does taste of freedom and democracy, the lack of check and control from a board of recognize experts undermines reliability. There are great contributions that even indentify the pressing plant from run out etching and useless entries that make only mess. I mean democracy is good but not for scientific research, if the majority voted against Newton's laws, laws wouldn't change.

Discogs is massively helpful to me. Equally as helpful as The Jazz Discography Project. Both have the odd error here and there, but if you know your stuff you can make corrections where needed.

The Discography Project people will accept corrections. I got sick of Frank Foster's contra-alto clarinet being listed as an alto clarinet (not their error) and they fixed that.

1 minute ago, Shrdlu said:

Discogs is massively helpful to me. Equally as helpful as The Jazz Discography Project. Both have the odd error here and there, but if you know your stuff you can make corrections where needed.

The Discography Project people will accept corrections. I got sick of Frank Foster's contra-alto clarinet being listed as an alto clarinet (not their error) and they fixed that.

My main problem with them is the pressings, editions issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to type my records (vinyl) and I have to correct my previous posts, the vinyl entries are excellent, so far I could find almost every pressings I have on discogs, few problems when I tried to find the correct pressing plant (!!!) of best sellers like Dylan. In general jazz entries are accurate with lot's of helping picts of covers and labels.

• 2 weeks later...