"Four And More: 1964, The Year In Jazz"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

David, just listened to it and thought it was great. 1964 and 1965 were great years for jazz.  With the avant garde gaining steam and jazz finally making peace with rock, plus some interesting bossa nova, there was lots going on. Verve had a nice 1964 with some cool stuff by Burrell, Tjader, Getz and Gil Evans. Thanks for the show.

14 hours ago, Deadman said:

David, just listened to it and thought it was great. 1964 and 1965 were great years for jazz.  With the avant garde gaining steam and jazz finally making peace with rock, plus some interesting bossa nova, there was lots going on. Verve had a nice 1964 with some cool stuff by Burrell, Tjader, Getz and Gil Evans. Thanks for the show.

Thanks so much! Completely agree with you about 1964 and 65–and I’ll get to a 1965 show soon, actually. 1968 coming up this week, just by coincidence, and I’ll post a link when that show becomes available as well.  Much appreciation for listening to this one.

• 4 years later...

I was only 5 years old in 1964 but if I could move time back, because I remember we spent the summer at the French Riviera, if I had urged my parents to drive up north to Normandie , I could have heard Bud at Edenville !!!!! 

From recordings of that time I can say it must have been a very fruitful period: 

Mingus had that great band with Eric Dolphy !!!! 
Miles had Wayne !!!!
Some of the best BN records were made, I think Dolphy, Wayne, Hubbard, Jackie McLean. 
Then all those Impulse LPs, Trane at the peak of his power.....

But it must also have been a time where many jazz venues closed: Birdland was slowly disappearing, one of the last hopes to keep it alive was the Return of Bud. 

In general, I must say I always had listened to what was new then, what took music further and further , that power which established figures like Mingus, Miles, Trane, Rollins had, and the then "young cats" Herbie Hancock, Hubbard, Shorter.....it was an extreme great year for Wayne Shorter......., Joe Henderson, Tony Williams and so on. 

Somehow I have not shared that fondness for those dozens of bossa nova albums, some sound nice, but in general it is not what really exites me.