June 19 BN Japanese Reissues - uncommon titles

felser

4 hours ago, felser said:

Not sure who else would have merited the attention those three received.  

Khan Jamal, just three years younger than Burton. 

I am not a fan, he sure enough he is more interesting than Roy Ayers - Walt Dickerson.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Khan Jamal, just three years younger than Burton. 

I am not a fan, he sure enough he is more interesting than Roy Ayers - Walt Dickerson.

Khan Jamal is pretty great, but a very different player than Hutcherson.  Dickerson seems to be the main influence on Jamal to my ears.  Neither were ever going to be widely appreciated across boundaries, but I really like them both.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The upcoming Greene shows only ten cuts on CDJapan, and there is no track listing for the Taylor. Seems unlikely the bonus material is present.

The Japanese seem to rarely do bonus material.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/16/2019 at 9:49 AM, felser said:

I think of it like a subpar CTI record.  If Hutcherson playing "Sophisticated Lady" etc. with a bunch of string arrangements by Wade Marcus turns you on, go for it.

Right.  I always felt Natural Illusions was Blue Note attempting to cash in on the success of Milt Jackson's Sunflower but much more watered down.  Sure, Don Sebesky's string arrangements on the latter may turn some people off, but the playing is so, so, serious and great.  Even with the rhythm section of Hank Jones, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette purely in session mode, it still sucks.  At least Carter/DeJohnette  shined more on CTI albums.

4 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Right.  I always felt Natural Illusions was Blue Note attempting to cash in on the success of Milt Jackson's Sunflower but much more watered down.  Sure, Don Sebesky's string arrangements on the latter may turn some people off, but the playing is so, so, serious and great.  Even with the rhythm section of Hank Jones, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette purely in session mode, it still sucks.  At least Carter/DeJohnette  shined more on CTI albums.

Agreed, Sebesky did that sort of thing better than anyone, and I enjoy those CTI albums, with Sunflower being one of the best along with Hubbard's First Light and some others.

4 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed, Sebesky did that sort of thing better than anyone, and I enjoy those CTI albums, with Sunflower being one of the best along with Hubbard's First Light and some others.

Sebesky's thing to my ear always had musical integrity, and that music is very much a product of it's time, but still holds up. Natural Illusions is well played, polite mood music, nothing more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, Gheorghe said:

Introducing Kenny Burrell is really a very very fine album.

It's not one I was interested in. I had simply bookmarked every Blue Note release from July and August at CD Japan and noticed these two discs going on backorder and shortly after sold out/out of print status.