felser

June 19 BN Japanese Reissues - uncommon titles

87 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, felser said:

Not sure who else would have merited the attention those three received.  

Khan Jamal, just three years younger than Burton. 

I am not a fan, he sure enough he is more interesting than Roy Ayers - Walt Dickerson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Khan Jamal, just three years younger than Burton. 

I am not a fan, he sure enough he is more interesting than Roy Ayers - Walt Dickerson.

Khan Jamal is pretty great, but a very different player than Hutcherson.  Dickerson seems to be the main influence on Jamal to my ears.  Neither were ever going to be widely appreciated across boundaries, but I really like them both.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The upcoming Greene shows only ten cuts on CDJapan, and there is no track listing for the Taylor. Seems unlikely the bonus material is present.

The Japanese seem to rarely do bonus material.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Move and Accent On The Blues!!!!!

and Visions, if you roll that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the original CD release of Stop And Listen, and it's mastered at a really low level.  It needs a good remastering; I hope this is it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

and Visions, if you roll that way!

I do, I like listening to those later Grant Green BN's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any further/updated information re the source/mastering for this series (UCQ-9500) - was discussed earlier in the thread before the CDs were released. I can't find any details on the Universal Japan site, CD japan site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to be new masterings to me. And sound quite nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 9:49 AM, felser said:

I think of it like a subpar CTI record.  If Hutcherson playing "Sophisticated Lady" etc. with a bunch of string arrangements by Wade Marcus turns you on, go for it.

Right.  I always felt Natural Illusions was Blue Note attempting to cash in on the success of Milt Jackson's Sunflower but much more watered down.  Sure, Don Sebesky's string arrangements on the latter may turn some people off, but the playing is so, so, serious and great.  Even with the rhythm section of Hank Jones, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette purely in session mode, it still sucks.  At least Carter/DeJohnette  shined more on CTI albums.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Right.  I always felt Natural Illusions was Blue Note attempting to cash in on the success of Milt Jackson's Sunflower but much more watered down.  Sure, Don Sebesky's string arrangements on the latter may turn some people off, but the playing is so, so, serious and great.  Even with the rhythm section of Hank Jones, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette purely in session mode, it still sucks.  At least Carter/DeJohnette  shined more on CTI albums.

 

Agreed, Sebesky did that sort of thing better than anyone, and I enjoy those CTI albums, with Sunflower being one of the best along with Hubbard's First Light and some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed, Sebesky did that sort of thing better than anyone, and I enjoy those CTI albums, with Sunflower being one of the best along with Hubbard's First Light and some others.

Sebesky's thing to my ear always had musical integrity, and that music is very much a product of it's time, but still holds up. Natural Illusions is well played, polite mood music, nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2019 at 6:30 PM, mjzee said:

Sheila Jordan - Portrait of Sheila.

That one's very good, although that has already been pointed out. But I have the old edition and may have to upgrade. Though I don't do sonic upgrades. Let's see what will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.