Lee and Hank at Sluggs

Hardbopjazz

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Great photo. Almost never saw photos of Hank without smoking a cigarette. He must have been a chain smoker and maybe that caused his later respiratory problems.

So true for many of the old Jazz greats. It was pretty common back then. My mother & father both quit cold turkey in 1964, when the US Surgeon General came out with his report that smoking caused cancer. They tell me that a lot of people quit at the same time.

43 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

So true for many of the old Jazz greats. It was pretty common back then. My mother & father both quit cold turkey in 1964, when the US Surgeon General came out with his report that smoking caused cancer. They tell me that a lot of people quit at the same time.

That's interesting ... my father was a huge smoker but his cold turkey moment came at a sales meeting for a new syndicated special on the dangers of smoking, when he worked for Group W (Westinghouse Broadcasting). He said when the lights came up after the presentation, he theatrically threw his cigs to the center of the table and said he'd never smoke another one. And he didn't, yet about 30 years later he had a bout of pneumonia right at Christmas time, spent the holiday in the hospital, and his doctor said that his smoking so many years ago had exacerbated the damage, even though he hadn't had one in so long.

so glad I was a smoker for about five minutes in high school. The kid who was with me was sucked into its maw, a smoker to this day.

22 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

is there a photo credit for this at all or origin of photo credit

This photo came from another forum I am a member of. It is called rare jazz photos. 

The comment from the person that shared the photo. 

This photograph was taken by Dutch pianist Rein DeGraaff in August of 1967. I made a number of prints of this in the darkroom from Rien's negative, which has since been returned to him.

Edited by Hardbopjazz