Oscar Peterson session not on jazzdisco-

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

are you kidding me dawg ive never seen the "j is for Jazz" label listing-- god i need all of them, coltrane at half note, Ornette 1970, Dex live in chicago '70, oh god!!!!

R-7013659-1514432086-5552.jpeg.jpg

And there's actually back covers with liner notes, by the reknowned Harris N. Venuti!

R-2896848-1405503513-4990.jpeg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some information from my notes on a couple of the sessions previously mentioned:

The Oscar Peterson material stems from the first WMGM “Jazz Caravan” radio broadcast from the Band Box in New York, January 19, 1953. Barney Kessel and Ray Brown are the other players in the group. This session used to be listed at jazzdisco.org (as from Birdland).

The entire “Jazz Caravan” broadcast is listed in Boris Rose’s “Bop - Modern – Progressive” book, page “NB #13”. Rose recorded all three sets. Emcees were Leonard Feather and Ed Stokes. The first was by a Gene Krupa/Teddy Napoleon/Charlie Ventura trio and was issued (sans announcements) by Rose on Ozone 25.

The Oscar Peterson Trio material is from the second set. All the issued material first appeared on Boris records: Alto AL-718 (“Canadian Keys”), Session SR-120 (“Hooray For Oscar Peterson And Art Tatum”), and Ozone 11 (“Oscar Peterson Trio Lee Morgan Jimmy Heath”). “Heat Wave” was reissued on Kings Of Jazz KLJ10022 (“Here Is Oscar Peterson At His Rare Of Rarest Performances Vol. 1”). Charlie Shavers joined the Peterson group for a 4 ½ minute performance of “Embraceable You” which remains unissued. 

The third and final set was by a Flip Phillips-Buddy Rich Trio (with Hank Jones on piano), augmented by Charlie Shavers on “Bugle Call Rag”. This material (including many of the announcements) was issued on Joyce LP-1153 (“One Night Stand With The Flip Phillips-Buddy Rich Trio At The Bandbox”).

The info I have for the Dexter material on J For Jazz JFJ802 is:

DEXTER GORDON QUARTET
Dexter Gordon (ts); John Young (p); Rufus Reid (b); Wilbur Campbell (d).
“Just Jazz”, WTTW television, Chicago, IL, July 1970

As was most often the case, the announcements were removed for the Boris record. Also missing from this record are the 1:15 opening theme (“Long Tall Dexter”) and a 45-seconds unaccompanied tenor sax solo which closed the show.

Incidentally, jazzdisco currently lists a set from the February 16, 1953 “Jazz Caravan” broadcast in its Stan Getz discography as from Birdland. That material is actually from the same Band Box show as the Bill Harris-Chubby Jackson Herd performance of “Your Father’s Moustache” in which Ed Stokes yells, “here comes Charlie Parker”.

On ‎28‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 1:58 AM, James Accardi said:

Here is some information from my notes on a couple of the sessions previously mentioned:

Incidentally, jazzdisco currently lists a set from the February 16, 1953 “Jazz Caravan” broadcast in its Stan Getz discography as from Birdland. That material is actually from the same Band Box show as the Bill Harris-Chubby Jackson Herd performance of “Your Father’s Moustache” in which Ed Stokes yells, “here comes Charlie Parker”.

who is ed stokes?  i thought always Leonard feather was yelling "here Comes Charlie parker."

Keep boppin´

marcel

Leonard Feather and Ed Stokes both hosted at least the first two months of the WMGM “Jazz Caravan” shows from the Band Box. Feather is the voice saying “Your Father’s Moustache” in the beginning of the Harris-Jackson recording.

Stokes can be heard at length on Lp: Raretone 5012-FC (“Stan Getz Special Vol. 2”) and CD: MDD 010 (“Mingus chez Duke”). He was the only emcee on the March 4, 1953 “Jazz Caravan” which featured a Buddy Rich Quartet. Harry James joined the group for one number, “Tarry With Harry”, which was issued on Lp: Joyce 1078. That track has Stokes’s voice at the beginning and end and can be heard from 0:04 until 7:16 at this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSlFgq-0WTU

Here’s Stokes on WMGM in 1959 (link should start at 4:46:10):
https://youtu.be/nEXBg5yqbJQ?t=17168

• 7 months later...
On 13.4.2019 at 9:45 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

picked this up for the lee-jimmy heath side, but jazzdisco doesnt list the oscar part, although i found older versions of a few of the tracks-  i assume its birdland, but it could be something else- 

R-6247148-1442691436-4922.jpeg.jpg

On 13.4.2019 at 9:45 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

picked this up for the lee-jimmy heath side, but jazzdisco doesnt list the oscar part, although i found older versions of a few of the tracks-  i assume its birdland, but it could be something else- 

R-6247148-1442691436-4922.jpeg.jpg

track Heat Wave"

This might be with Ray Brown (b) & Barney Kessel (g) from 1952 on label World Transmission Records

track "Swinging till the girls come" home was issued on Verve VSP/VSPS-42 Oscar Peterson at JATP probably from 1953

The rest looks also as some JATP recordings with the early Peterson Trio. Later Herb Ellis was on guitar.

Hope this helps

Edited by jazzcorner
typo