Forum Secure?

Brad

I'm on PC and use Google Chrome browser. The "site information" button at the upper left of the browser, next to the URL field, has always shown "Not secure".

I don't know for sure, but doubt it's a problem because none of my antivirus software has ever objected.

According to Chrome online help, "Not secure" means:

The site isn't using a private connection. Someone might be able to see or change the information you send or get through this site. 

On some sites, you can visit a more secure version of the page:

1. Select the address bar.
  2. Delete http://, and enter https:// instead.

If that doesn't work, contact the site owner to ask that they secure the site and your data with HTTPS.

I just tried the https:// fix and it didn't work. Not going to bother Jim with the request.

Edited by T.D.

I get a warning whenever I log in. I use Firefox and Avast antivirus. Nothing bad has happened. I also use a VPN on my phone and on the computer. It's only about $30 a year. For texts, I mainly use Whatsapp and its successor, Signal.

The annoying E.U. has blocked Mosaic's jazz blog for people in the E.U. A VPN rectifies that petty annoyance. Typical of them.

26 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

I get a warning whenever I log in. I use Firefox and Avast antivirus. Nothing bad has happened. I also use a VPN on my phone and on the computer. It's only about $30 a year. For texts, I mainly use Whatsapp and its successor, Signal.

The annoying E.U. has blocked Mosaic's jazz blog for people in the E.U. A VPN rectifies that petty annoyance. Typical of them.

I assume the warning comes from the fact that the forum is run on a http, rather than a https, website.

What do you mean by that the EU has "blocked" Mosaic's jazz blog? Which blog is this? 

18 hours ago, T.D. said:

The site isn't using a private connection. Someone might be able to see or change the information you send or get through this site. 

I use a PC and Firefox and since the last Firefox update always get a similar message whenever I am to introduce a password as "the site is insecure". I always ignore it and assumed, long time ago, that that happened because it's not an https address, but maybe it's something else.

54 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

Mosaic has a Sunday Jazz Digest (or some similar name) on its home page. An E.U. "directive" blocks that blog because of some data bullshit.

It was my understanding that you had to opt in to access it. In addition, before the directive became effective, Mosaic gave notice to its subscribers what action they needed to take to access the Jazz Digest.  

It's not just "data bullshit." Protecting personal information is important. 

Edited by Brad

20 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Mosaic has a Sunday Jazz Digest (or some similar name) on its home page. An E.U. "directive" blocks that blog because of some data bullshit.

Assuming you mean the Mosaic Records Daily Jazz Gazette, it is published on the blogging platform Tumblr. It is Tumblr that has introduced the consent page which you may have perceived as a "blocking page". 

The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) may have its flaws, but I find it easy to sympathize with the general objective of forcing companies who process personal data to be more transparent. Basically, the GDPR applies to all companies, not only inside the EU, but - much to the dismay of many non-EU entities - also to companies outside the EU if they are marketing products towards EU citizens. It is because of the GDPR that Tumblr has introduced the aforementioned page to meet the requirement to enable all individuals to opt out from most processing of personal data that is not required to deliver a specific product or required by law. However, this opt-out requirement is badly implemented by Tumblr, as it is very difficult to manage these privacy settings. A few clicks down the line, you are presented with a list of hundreds of "partners", for which you may enable or disable the right to direct customized ads to you, based on your behavior while on Tumblr. But it turns out that the right for some "foundational partners", like Google, Amazon, Facebook etc to use your personal data cannot easily be managed or disabled. You need to visit each platform separately to take control of their use of data regarding your Tumblr preferences.

That's when I chose to opt out of using Tumblr altogether (and so, I can't read the Gazette). So this is all about Tumblr (which Mosaic Records have chosen as supplier of the blog platform) trying hard to appear to follow the GDPR, while in fact they want to make it hard for you to exercise your rights as a data subject.

Edited by Daniel A

21 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

From this forum, or from your computer/tablet/phone? 

The Forum, although in all honesty, there is very little PI this Forum has on its members. I once had this argument years ago with a company about information they were collecting on its customers and they grudgingly made their site more secure. 

4 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Well, the E.U. interference is a damned nuisance to users in the E.U. If you ever find anything useful about the E.U., do let me know.

I am not sure that I understand your point. There is no "EU interference" other than that there is a regulation requiring companies to be very upfront with what they do with your personal data, and ask for your consent for the use of data for certain purposes and/or data types (like sensitive data). Tumblr's implementation of these requirements is not particularly user-friendly. Others have succeeded better. 

On 15/04/2019 at 11:45 PM, Daniel A said:

The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) may have its flaws, but I find it easy to sympathize with the general objective of forcing companies who process personal data to be more transparent. Basically, the GDPR applies to all companies, not only inside the EU, but - much to the dismay of many non-EU entities - also to companies outside the EU if they are marketing products towards EU citizens. It is because of the GDPR that Tumblr has introduced the aforementioned page to meet the requirement to enable all individuals to opt out from most processing of personal data that is not required to deliver a specific product or required by law. However, this opt-out requirement is badly implemented by Tumblr, as it is very difficult to manage these privacy settings. A few clicks down the line, you are presented with a list of hundreds of "partners", for which you may enable or disable the right to direct customized ads to you, based on your behavior while on Tumblr. But it turns out that the right for some "foundational partners", like Google, Amazon, Facebook etc to use your personal data cannot easily be managed or disabled. You need to visit each platform separately to take control of their use of data regarding your Tumblr preferences.

That's when I chose to opt out of using Tumblr altogether (and so, I can't read the Gazette). So this is all about Tumblr (which Mosaic Records have chosen as supplier of the blog platform) trying hard to appear to follow the GDPR, while in fact they want to make it hard for you to exercise your rights as a data subject.

Very well said. I'm from inside the EU, so my expericence might differ from those outside the EU. I also have repeatedly seen that list with "hundreds" of partners, for some of which there is no way of opting out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, mjzee said:

Speaking of... What’s the status of migrating to updated forum software?

Still have not found anyone to help me do it. I can't afford to pay anyone. We're not even getting enough donations to support the forum per month. I just paid $224 out of my own pocket for May.

8 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Still have not found anyone to help me do it. I can't afford to pay anyone. We're not even getting enough donations to support the forum per month. I just paid $224 out of my own pocket for May.

Jim, wasn’t there a surplus last year? I assume it was applied to this year’s bill. Regarding updating the forum software, wouldn’t it make sense to hire someone to do this, depending on the cost.  Shouldn’t the forum software developers be doing that though?

On 5/14/2019 at 1:59 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

A small one, yes. But the server increased to $224 this year (from $209) and I did spend some money on renewing the domain, SSL, etc.