The fire at Notre Dame cathedral

Terrible. One of the great European cathedrals and a centre of medieval polyphony. I'm interested in cathedrals like the Notre Dame purely from a secular perspective, it's part of our history and culture. One doesn't have to be religious to appreciate that.

Edited by J.A.W.

2 hours ago, brownie said:

Heavy damage but the two towers still stand.

The cathédral will be rebuilt! 

Indeed.  It isn't the first time for this cathedral.  Even the spire that fell was less than two hundred years old, not original to the building.  This is now an opportunity to relearn and remake this wonderful building.

At least the results appear not to be as disastrous as that of the Glasgow School of Art, the loss of which I mourned pretty heavily too.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in London, and Glasgow in 2001 - and we stayed just 2-3 blocks form the School of Art - and saw every one of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's buildings in and anywhere near Glasgow on that trip (8-9 major projects in all).

Here it is shortly after the fire, and in all it's glory before (down below)...

1280px-Schoolofart1.jpg

TGSI00011.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm amazed to see the interior pictures and seeing that the altar is still there. Votive candles were still lit. It looked far more devastating from the outside. However, from the sounds of it, I will be long in the ground before it is restored to its full glory, so I am very glad to have been able to walk through it twice.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

At least the results appear not to be as disastrous as that of the Glasgow School of Art, the loss of which I mourned pretty heavily too.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in London, and Glasgow in 2001 - and we stayed just 2-3 blocks form the School of Art - and saw every one of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's buildings in and anywhere near Glasgow on that trip (8-9 major projects in all).

Here it is shortly after the fire, and in all it's glory before (down below)...

1280px-Schoolofart1.jpg

TGSI00011.jpg

Two fires in fairly quick succession too, the second during the renovation after the first. That library was a stunning room to enter.

Let Notre Dame at least escape that fate

Now they're saying 10-15 years to rebuild it... hmmm... maybe I can see it once more before I go?

I don't get why they're concerned with not having the right wood to rebuild the roof's substructure. It's not visible - ever hear of steel beams? :)

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/notre-dame-fire/h_8dea292b00ff98263f67ce361f637ad9

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan