Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Face of the Bass

Best Book on Bix

10 posts in this topic

Interested in thoughts and opinions on the Bix tomes that are out there. Is Finding Bix worth checking out? Jean-Pierre Lion's bio? Sudhalter's book? Which is the first one to read?

Honestly, I think I've read most, not "Finding Bix" though. The one to get is: 

Bix: The Leon Bix Beiderbecke Story 

This book was meticulously researched and the author's intent was to strip away all the legend and present real verified details and as much true information as possible. A fascinating book.
Sudhalter's is full of myth and legend presented as fact and it often isn't. Berton's and Lion/Paige-Fort are good reads.
Edited by jazzbo

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

This book was meticulously researched and the author's intent was to strip away all the legend and present real verified details and as much true information as possible. A fascinating book.
Sudhalter's is full of myth and legend presented as fact and it often isn't. Berton's and Lion/Paige-Fort are good reads.

I noticed that Philip R. Evans also is the co-author Sudhalter's Bix book. So did he disown explicitly his contributions to the Sudhalter book? Just wondering ...

He was furious that Sudhaulter included "legendary" and anecdotal information not held up by fact. That was the impetus for him to write his own book (with his wife's help) including "just the facts."

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

History - the lies the winners tell. :ph34r:

Now and then we have the testimony of the losers to balance it out.

gregmo

On 4/15/2019 at 4:34 PM, jazzbo said:

This book looks really good. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a copy for really anything less than $95...

Well, that's too bad. I pre-ordered it at the recommendation of the biggest Bix fan I knew at the time, and think I paid 45 dollars then! Keep an eye out, it's worth finding at a great price. The best is sometimes costly. . . . 

Edited by jazzbo