Record Store Day 2019

trane_fanatic

Did anyone pick up the jazz oriented releases for RSD '19 this past Saturday?

Some are listed here:

https://www.jazziz.com/10-jazz-releases-you-need-to-know-about-record-store-day-2019/

Others included:

AEC - The Spiritual

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10766

Bolden - Soundtrack

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10602

Ceremonial Healing

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10658

Edited by trane_fanatic

This is the first year I totally skipped it. The eBay flippers have destroyed it. It's no longer about supporting your local record store. It's about how much money you can make by flipping a limited edition LP on eBay. Last year, I saw flippers posting LPs purchased minutes before in the parking lot of the store.

Sounds good to me.

I visited my local shop three days later and picked up three nice used titles and passed on the RSD leftovers, of which there was many. Subsequently picked up the Griot Galaxy, the one title zi really wanted, online for less than shops were selling it on the day. Purchased the Kirchin from source. All in all a good RSD experience, just a week later and queue-less

On 16.4.2019 at 0:36 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

Too bad the format is the focus. Better to pay attention to music.

Well, at the latest notice RSD is about VINYL record shops and paying homage to them still catering to that format and to THAT format still being marketed. (After all,despite its resurgence it stil is a niche product)

Regardless of the marketing hullaballoo, local RSD events can be nice and can give some push to a shop, even though I personally am not usually attracted by the RSD releases either (even our main local record store that does RSD calls the prices of some of the items just insane and sometimes refuses to play the game - which doesn't harm his business, BTW).  I would have been tempted by the Wes Montgomery release this year but am not prepared to pay huge money for the gimmick of having an RSD item. But if others jump on it - why not?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Yes, attracting newbies and vinyl fiends to visit local independent stores is certainly worthy.  Obtaining limited-editions (usually 1,000 to 3,000) of alternate, never-released tracks or straight reissues (Albert King - 'Born Under A Bad Sign') makes for happy consumers.  I'd expect half of purchased items to remain sealed and stored away for investment or merely gazed-upon like those who collect commemorative plates.

The purchases which are opened and played may well reveal the flaws of hasty, overstressed pressing facilities*.  Off-centered, warped, scratched, or horrible sounding vinyl has been reported by many customers on the Hoffman site.  Most RSD stores are unable to replace defective items and may be reluctant to refund cash.  Record Store Day is not necessarily a completely happy one for all concerned.

*United Record Pressing in Nashville is an often-mentioned culprit

As a record store owner, I have something to say about Record Store Day. We appreciate the boost in business it gives us, and we did have a successful day, but I try to serve my regular customers mostly, not the ones I might see once a year. Every year we are inundated with phone calls for the RSD swag from would-be flippers, and we decided long ago not to bother. We leave that to the local chain store.   

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Not a bad idea but better to go to a gig and buy from the musicians. That is the current model. 

Sigh.

I've been surprised by the lack of sales at many of the gigs I've been to lately. I have always tried to buy directly from the artists but I can't if they don't bring any.

Perfect example, Bruce Gertz recently played at local club in Portsmouth, NH. I know he recently had a pile of old sealed vinyl going back to the early 80's when he had his own label that he will sell you if you E-mail him. Given the recent resurgence in vinyl sales, you'd think he'd have a box of these with him? Nope.