Roscoe Mitchell - Littlefield Concert Hall

Chuck Nessa

I'm still enjoying the struggle to get my head wrapped around Ride the Wind.  That music of that complexity and beauty can even be imagined, let alone composed and executed, is truly amazing to me. 

I'm interested in hearing this record.  The duplicated composition... which one is it?

19 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

No judgement involved, but after posting this here to no response I posted it on Facebook and currently have 28 responses.

Sorry, Chuck. Been off this site for a few weeks. Traveling. 

I'm pretty sure I "Liked" your FB post, though! 

I need to get this!  Mr. Mitchell is a national treasure.  Some years ago I had the opportunity to tell him that he had changed the way I heard music.  As part of  a Jazz festival a group of critics and musicians converged to discuss Jazz in Europe (participants included Amrii Baraka, Peter Brotzman, Evan Parker, Wadada Leo Smith and others in a lively, at times contentious conversation.)  There was a bit of tension in the room and Mr. Mitchell (not a scheduled participant) felt a bit slighted and spoke up.  Although he was a bit miffed, he was extremely cordial to me when I approached him. 

21 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Another orchestral production to consider. This one does duplicate one composition from Ride the Wind, but the orchestration is different. I just played the two to get a feel. An interesting exercise. Roscoe is on a roll.

71SOGhzfsRL._SX522_.jpg

I was stunned and delighted by "Ride the Wind" but found "Discussions"(with Mills College personnel by and large)  to be worthwhile but somewhat less successful; I assumed that was because most of the orchestrations on "Ride the Wind" were done by Roscoe while all the the orchestrations on "Discussions" were done by others. Who did the orchestrations for the Littlefield Concert Hall album?

On 4/21/2019 at 5:47 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

No judgement involved, but after posting this here to no response I posted it on Facebook and currently have 28 responses.

Well then, it sounds like Facebook must be the place for you, Chick. 

The insolence of all the members here not showering you with praise and delight after you were gracious enough to give us all 33 minutes to do so sends a clear message. You deserve a far higher quality of online acquaintences, IMO. 

4 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Audited on spotters. Sehr interessant!

The blurb describes these as transcriptions, but that is a bit slack as these are orchestrations. The blurb writer not so well informed maybe. It would be clarifying to give proper credits. I want Naxos to release the Reykjavik concerts. 

They have to be orchestrations for at least two reasons -- the improvisations they were orchestrated from were the work of a piano/drums/reeds trio, not the album's largish ensembles; and if this album is at all similar to "Ride the Wind," the orchestral pieces are a good deal longer than the trio pieces from which they were orchestrated. How that orchestration process worked, I have no clue, although the results are stunning.