Mark Stryker's "Jazz from Detroit" up for pre-order

Advertisements for Myself

Lots of news today about Jazz from Detroit. First, the publication date is officially July 8 and it's now up for pre-order. And have we got a deal for you -- a 40% discount off of list price if you order at the University of Michigan Press website. That takes the price from $39.95 to $23.97. Just type in the promo code UMSTRYKER on the checkout page. Here's the listing page. https://www.press.umich.edu/4454129/jazz_from_detroit

Second, as part of announcing the book, WBGO has an exclusive excerpt up at their website -- the chapter about Regina Carter.  https://www.wbgo.org/

Third, the book has a website at https://jazzfromdetroit.com/ Please visit and have a look around. There's background on the book, including the Table of Contents; a bio of your author and friendly proprietor; press photos (and other cool photos to see); links where you can pre-order (plus the promo code for the 40% discount); and a section called "Musings" -- basically a blog, whose inaugural post celebrates Joe Henderson's birthday today with a brief taste of my chapter about Joe and some representative music. (The "Music" section itself on the site will be populated with Playlists and the like in the coming weeks and months.). There's also some generous advance endorsements from Pat Metheny, Sonny Rollins, and others. 

Onward.

Edited by Mark Stryker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'll definitely be pre-ordering this, for sure! -- especially at a 40% discount - thank you Mark!!

If anybody else here in DC wants one too, i.e. to have me to go in on a multiple order -- to save some on shipping (presumably), let me know.

I'll probably order by the end of May -- unless there's a time-limit on the discount code??

2 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Wow, I'll definitely be pre-ordering this, for sure! -- especially at a 40% discount - thank you Mark!!

If anybody else here in DC wants one too, i.e. to have me to go in on a multiple order -- to save some on shipping (presumably), let me know.

I'll probably order by the end of May -- unless there's a time-limit on the discount code??

The discount will remain in effect until publication date (July 8) at which point it will either be reduced or eliminated -- that's still being decided. So you can order anytime. I will say that from the author's perspective, the earlier you pre-order the better it is for me, because pre-orders help determine how large a print run of hardback books they'll do initially. If they see a large demand, that's good for me. But that doesn't mean you have to order immediately ...

I appreciate your enthusiasm. Thanks.

Hey gang -- lots of daily content going up in the Musings section of my website, www.jazzfromdetroit.com. So far there have been posts about Joe Henderson, Elvin Jones, Tommy Flanagan & Ella Fitzgerald, Oliver Jackson and Kenny Burrell, Hank Jones and Duke Ellington, and  today's post about a recording made 63 years ago today in which Kenny Clarke corralled four young cats from Detroit -- Kenny Burrell, Pepper Adams, and Paul Chambers, Some great music embedded in the posts too, from a rare, never-reissued single c. 1954 featuring Burrell, to today's "Cottontail" with some super-sophisticated chord substitutions.

https://jazzfromdetroit.com/blog/jazzmen-detroit?fbclid=IwAR2qRkT3Q5EJrs-7ujSy42BedDSCdxvJ8WNO_avvhuIqsErCCGvOli_ZrEY

Edited by Mark Stryker

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Any further developments on the CD that Uptown was preparing of early recordings?

None of which I'm aware. I'd have to ask my friends Lars Bjorn and Jim Gallert -- the guys who wrote  "Before Motown" -- to know the current status of the the Uptown CD. My instinct tells me that it would appear to be a long-shot at this point in time -- but don't take that as gospel.

On 4/24/2019 at 0:32 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Just reiterating my offer to go in on multiple copies for anyone else here in DC (or I'll be in Kansas City visiting family over Xmas), if anyone wants to save some(?) on shipping, presumably.

33 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I was going to get it too, but are you sure there is really any savings by combining? Is the shipping charge not a flat fee per unit?

I'm not really sure yet. A week or so ago, I went as far through the ordering process up to the point where (I think) it wanted my cc info (which I didn't have handy), so I'm just assuming there might be some savings - but I'm not really sure yet, to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang, 

Dropping in here to remind everyone that I'm posting regular journal entries relating to Detroit jazz history on the Musings page at the website for my book: All kinds of cool stuff. If the spirit moves, please have a look. Yes, this is a shameless attempt to drive traffic to the site. https://jazzfromdetroit.com/blog

7 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Hey gang, 

Dropping in here to remind everyone that I'm posting regular journal entries relating to Detroit jazz history on the Musings page at the website for my book: All kinds of cool stuff. If the spirit moves, please have a look. Yes, this is a shameless attempt to drive traffic to the site. https://jazzfromdetroit.com/blog

Thanks Mark - I can't ever recall knowing that Roy Brooks had such trouble ... could I have put it out of my mind? I really don't think so. I am hesitant to read those two linked articles but I feel like I have to.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Thanks Mark - I can't ever recall knowing that Roy Brooks had such trouble ... could I have put it out of my mind? I really don't think so. I am hesitant to read those two linked articles but I feel like I have to.

Roy's issues were common knowledge in Detroit, but pretty much off the radar of the wider jazz world, especially back in the day. The stories can be tough reading but they are sensitively done.

I grew up in Detroit and lived there until moving to Rochester New York in summer 1967. Roy Brooks was a very young guy learning to be a first class jazz drummer when I first heard him play. He would hang around the various places where jazz was played and would sit in whenever possible. Over time I heard him greatly improve and become a wonderful drummer. 

I was very very fortunate to come of age as a budding jazz fan in Detroit where I had the opportunity to regularly hear "local" players like Kenny Burrell, Pepper Adams, Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, Elvin Jones, Yusef Lateef, Hugh Lawson, Curtis Fuller, Herman Wright, Charles McPherson, Lonnie Hillyer, Sonny Red, Bernard McKinney, Barry Harris and others. 

A few years later Joe Henderson, Kirk Lightsey, Bess Bonnier, Jack Brokensha & Frank Gant were also part of the Detroit scene for a while.  

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Are you going to be in Newport? I saw your name in the line-up.

Yes! Early in the day on Friday, August 2. Noon I believe ...Come say hi.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Four (4) copies just ordered for a combined DC and KC contingent.  Really looking forward to this one!

Really appreciate your enthusiasm and, of course, the sales. Thanks