Mark Stryker's "Jazz from Detroit" up for pre-order

On 20/06/2019 at 2:31 PM, Clunky said:

I’ve pre-ordered mine from Amazon UK as I assumed that shipping from US would be prohibitively costly 

Looks like its listed now. I would love to have gone for Mark’s direct offer but the combination of shipping and taxes would likely more than negate the discount.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was packed for my trip to Naples Thursday night to visit Mom for a couple of days - started Friday morning, finished Saturday afternoon. Amazon has posted my review.

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Detroit-Mark-Stryker/dp/0472074261/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1LL98DQLAKJFZ&keywords=jazz+from+detroit&qid=1566815043&s=gateway&sprefix=jazz+from+d%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1

• 8 months later...

Congrats, Mark! It's been my reference book since last Fall for the real info on many of the greatest jazz musicians of jazz' most creative period. "Before Motown" was good for sociological facts about what was once the center of jazz in the US; "Jazz From Detroit" went as deep as you could go with the music and musicians. NYC has always just been about the money; Detroit was about the music.

6 hours ago, sgcim said:

Congrats, Mark! It's been my reference book since last Fall for the real info on many of the greatest jazz musicians of jazz' most creative period. "Before Motown" was good for sociological facts about what was once the center of jazz in the US; "Jazz From Detroit" went as deep as you could go with the music and musicians. NYC has always just been about the money; Detroit was about the music.

Thanks much. Appreciate it! 

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 1 year later...

Mark: I'm reading the liner notes to The Best Of The Four Tops - 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection.  In it, it states: "A dozen of their first 15 releases made the Top 20 and five crashed the Top 10.  Few of the millions who bought these rock 'n' soul singles realized the quartet, which formed in 1954, had spent a decade as an accomplished live jazz act, applying complex vocal harmonies to sophisticated standards and show tunes."  In the course of researching your book, did you come across any recordings of theirs during this early period?

• 1 year later...

Just got an email from Mark’s publisher, and they’re offering a 40% discount on seemingly all their offerings…

Our annual Fall Sale is here! From 9/12 to 9/30, get 40% off all titles. Plus get free shipping after the purchase of four books or more. 

Use the discount code UMSEPT22 to enjoy this deal.
Happy reading!

https://www.press.umich.edu/

And here’s Mark’s wonderful book!

https://www.press.umich.edu/4454129/jazz_from_detroit

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 7/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, mjzee said:

Mark: I'm reading the liner notes to The Best Of The Four Tops - 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection.  In it, it states: "A dozen of their first 15 releases made the Top 20 and five crashed the Top 10.  Few of the millions who bought these rock 'n' soul singles realized the quartet, which formed in 1954, had spent a decade as an accomplished live jazz act, applying complex vocal harmonies to sophisticated standards and show tunes."  In the course of researching your book, did you come across any recordings of theirs during this early period?

Hey, I'm sorry that I'm just now seeing this query. I did not learn of any additional recordings while working on my book other the material cited above. I've never looked deeply, however, and I think there's a possibility of more stuff out there. 

19 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Just got an email from Mark’s publisher, and they’re offering a 40% discount on seemingly all their offerings…

Our annual Fall Sale is here! From 9/12 to 9/30, get 40% off all titles. Plus get free shipping after the purchase of four books or more. 

Happy reading!

Thanks for the shout and kind words. I really appreciate it. 

Yes, this is a great opportunity to get the book at a significant discount.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Happy reading!

Thanks for the tip.  Just ordered.

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Hey, I'm sorry that I'm just now seeing this query. I did not learn of any additional recordings while working on my book other the material cited above. I've never looked deeply, however, and I think there's a possibility of more stuff out there. 

No worries.  A board member pointed me to "Lost And Found: Four Tops "Breaking Through" 1963-1964" on Motown.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 10:54 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Happy reading!

Just placed an order. I know I am late to the party, but I took advantage of the 40% discount Rooster mentions. Reading an excerpt from the book on Kenny Burrell convinced me I needed to read this. I tried with a promo code from when the book first came out, but it was no longer valid. But thanks to Rooster's suggestion I took advantage of a similar arrangement.

Edited by Bluesnik
typo

On 10/5/2022 at 3:30 PM, ghost of miles said:

Great sale--already have two copies of Mark's book, so I picked up the Andre Hodeir Reader, Bruce Boyd Raeburn's book about New Orleans and the writing of jazz history, John Chilton's Coleman Hawkins bio, Jeffrey McMillan's Lee Morgan bio, and a book about John Lewis and the Third Stream.

I'm interested in that John Lewis book too. Please read it first and let me know what you think.