Mosaic's Black and White label box set

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Do you have the Bee Hive box? (I think it’s the only label-retrospective of theirs that I have)

Yes-most definitely!  That was one of those great Mosaic box sets where I had none of the music in my collection before I got the set.  I am particularly fond of the HRS box, and the Capitol Records box is not far behind.  

On 14/04/2022 at 10:44 PM, tranemonk said:

I'm on the fence with this one as I'm not familiar with a lot of the artists. Is there any streaming/digital stuff of these musicians that would give me a taste of what will be on box set?

The Earle Spencer material is on Spotify (as reissued by Fresh Sound). I've hear enough B&W 78s to know that I'll be an interesting voyage of discovery for me.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:56 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Is this the first Mosaic set Scott (Wenzel) has produced?  (Forgive me if I'm overlooking any of his prior production credits.)

Iirc his first set was the Mildred Bailey back around 2000 or so--he's produced several dozen sets, actually!  And gotten three Grammy nominations, for the Bix/Tram/Teagarden collection, the Woody Herman Columbia box, and the Lester Young/Count Basie on Columbia set.   

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Iirc his first set was the Mildred Bailey back around 2000 or so--he's produced several dozen sets, actually!  And gotten three Grammy nominations, for the Bix/Tram/Teagarden collection, the Woody Herman Columbia box, and the Lester Young/Count Basie on Columbia set.   

Wow, I had no idea. That’s great to hear!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 0:37 AM, miles65 said:

Expected release date is May 31st. 

Mosaic hasn't been on time with a release date since I don't know when. We'll see, but I wouldn't expect this one until the end of the summer. I'd be delighted to be wrong!

gregmo