Mosaic's Black and White label box set

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm currently listening to disc one.  Mosaic has done wonderful things with bad sources.  The music sounds great and so far, am supremely happy with my purchase.  The booklet seems slightly larger than most they have done.  I have glossed over it... appears to be their usual thorough job though I wish there was a section about all the hassles they went through to get the rights to do the box.  That's a minor quibble.  It's a blessing and one of 2,500.  If you haven't ordered it, you should consider doing so. 

Blessings.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, scooter_phx said:

Well, I'm currently listening to disc one.  Mosaic has done wonderful things with bad sources.  The music sounds great and so far, am supremely happy with my purchase.  The booklet seems slightly larger than most they have done.  I have glossed over it... appears to be their usual thorough job though I wish there was a section about all the hassles they went through to get the rights to do the box.  That's a minor quibble.  It's a blessing and one of 2,500.  If you haven't ordered it, you should consider doing so. 

Blessings.

Glad to hear it. I received mine last week. Just haven't had the time and space to give it a listen yet. 

9 hours ago, OliverM said:

Yes, apparently around the 20th but could be longer.

I wonder what JazzMessengers' price will be. I usually order my Mosaics from them, but not this time, I thought a direct order from Mosaic might be a bit cheaper (even with the Customs charges) and faster; unfortunately, my order is still "processing"...

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm in the UK and my thoughts were the same as J.A.W. regarding the price of the new set, when compared to JM.  I'm hoping I might avoid a customs charge but you never know.

My order is also still 'processing' - so much for shipping the last two weeks of June!

One thing I will note is that in this phase of Mosaic's where they outsource shipping I have a) not received a shipping notice or a tracking number and the box set has just shown up, even though others have received both before a set arrives); b) I have received a shipping notice but not an actual shipping email with tracking; c) I have received a shipping notice and a shipping email with tracking; d) this last time I received an email that had a shipping notice and tracking number (but the tracking still shows that USPS is waiting for the package since Thursday). 

So sometimes I don't think a package is on the way and it just shows up, and sometimes I know shipping is imminent but have no tracking resource. . . every time the set has eventually reached me. So I've given up "holding my breath" waiting!

12 hours ago, jazzbo said:

One thing I will note is that in this phase of Mosaic's where they outsource shipping I have a) not received a shipping notice or a tracking number and the box set has just shown up, even though others have received both before a set arrives); b) I have received a shipping notice but not an actual shipping email with tracking; c) I have received a shipping notice and a shipping email with tracking; d) this last time I received an email that had a shipping notice and tracking number (but the tracking still shows that USPS is waiting for the package since Thursday). 

So sometimes I don't think a package is on the way and it just shows up, and sometimes I know shipping is imminent but have no tracking resource. . . every time the set has eventually reached me. So I've given up "holding my breath" waiting!

Yes, as excellent as Mosaic itself is, their outsourced shipping vendor's service has been erratic just as you describe.  I did get a tracking number this time and am expecting the set in the next day or so... excited to hear it and read the booklet.  As I think I mentioned elsewhere I was a big fan of Rhino's Central Avenue Sounds mid-1990s box set, and this new Mosaic seems to overlap with that particular bop 'n jump musical realm of 1940s Los Angeles.  

Received my set on Tuesday and unfortunately it appears an elephant stepped on one corner of the shipping box, crushing one corner of the black box and plastic tray, though the CDs and booklet are okay.

Mosaic service has certainly gone down hill, as my query as to whether it was possible to obtain a replacement box/tray has gone unanswered for two days.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Received my set on Tuesday and unfortunately it appears an elephant stepped on one corner of the shipping box, crushing one corner of the black box and plastic tray, though the CDs and booklet are okay.

Mosaic service has certainly gone down hill, as my query as to whether it was possible to obtain a replacement box/tray has gone unanswered for two days.

Did you mail Scott directly at scott@mosaicrecords.com ? In my experience he usually replies within a day.

Well, I'm on disc eight of the B&W set.  The only one that I really didn't care much for (in general) was the Jack McVea sessions.  I don't know why but they just didn't move me.  The Phil Moore sessions sound a great deal like Nat King Cole (which I guess isn't all that surprising).  They are pleasant.