Paul Combs - Unknown Dameron

mjzee

Release date June 7:

A1qDGZRCNQL._SL1500_.jpg

While Dameron is fairly well-known for some eight compositions that have become part of the jazz canon, there are many more of his works that deserve our attention. The 12 selections recorded here were either never recorded, or only recorded rarely, and not easily available. Conversation (1940) was copyrighted along with other pieces Tadd wrote for Harlan Leonard; Moon From The East (1962) was written for Benny Goodman's USSR tour in 1962; Take A Chance On Spring (1963), with lyric by Maely Danielle, was recorded by Karin Krog and Per Husby on a record that won an award in Europe; Don't Forget It (1942) written during Dameron's tenure with Jimmie Lunceford, is very much in the vein of the popular songs of the day-It was never recorded; The Search (1948) was copyrighted along with some other tunes that were recorded by Dizzy Gillespie at the time; Never Been In Love (1963), lyric by Irving Reid, was first recorded by Bill Lee and Muriel Winston; Sando Latino, written for a 1962 Milt Jackson session on Atlantic, was lost in a vault fire at Atlantic that year; A La Bridges (1940) was written for and recorded by Harlan Leonard's Kansas City Rockets; Zakat (ca 1945) was written for Jimmie Lunceford, it was never recorded; Come Close (1962) only appears as a piano arrangement filed with the Copyright Office. The title and the melody suggest that Dameron had a lyric in mind, none have come to light; The Rampage (1956) shares some thematic material with Small Groove, which Tadd wrote for Woody Herman around this same time, and may have been the basis for the Herman version. This is its first recording. Paul Combs, saxophonist/arranger (Dameron's biographer) and 11 great musicians: Alex Aspinall; Derek Cannon; Ken Cook; Bill Cunliffe; Jeff Denson; Alex Frank; Melonie Grinnell; Kamau Kenyatta; Richard Sellers; Rob Thorsen; Danielle Wertz

So glad to see what kind of wonderful music can slip out from time to time from the project I worked on for years at the Library of Congress!

Paul came to present a concert of Tadd's music at the Smithsonian two years ago for the Centennial as part of the Take 5 series I help organize. So glad my good friend Danielle Wertz was part of that concert when she was still in DC, she is one of my all-time favorite vocalists. She moved to the West Coast, resulting in her being available to be on this CD as well. Can't wait to hear it!

Bertrand.