Stan Getz Quartet at the Village Gate November 26th, 1961

soulpope

Via Zev Feldman on Facebook :

Unbenannt.png

GETZ AT THE GATE — COMING SOON! I'm thrilled to share with you news of a new Stan Getz discovery that I co-produced for Verve Records with Ken Druker, Richard Seidel, (and exec. producer Harry Weinger). "Getz at the Gate" is a previously-unissued recording of the Stan Getz Quartet featuring pianist Steve Kuhn, bassist John Neves and drummer Roy Haynes (aka "the Boston Band") captured live at the iconic Village Gate in Greenwich Village NYC on Sunday, November 26, 1961. The deluxe 2CD & 3LP sets include a beautiful booklet with never-before-published photos from Bob Parent taken the night of this recording, plus an essay by the acclaimed jazz writer Bob Blumenthal. This is the same band that was featured on Getz's classic 1962 album "Focus." I've had a great time working with Richard, Ken and Harry, and everyone else at Verve Label Group/Universal Music Group, on my first project for the historic Verve label. Stay tuned for more info!

Available June 14, 2019 > (2CD) https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/produc…/getz-at-the-gate-2cd & (3LP) https://www.merchbar.com/…/s…/stan-getz-getz-at-the-gate-3lp

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is Zev announcing some Blue Note archival things? I thought that was his new main gig.  But agreed this looks like a lot of potential and its nice to see Verve be willing to put out such a release they must see the potential for profitable sales levels.

(If Verve is in the reissue biz again how about finding some archival Three Sounds while they were in between Blue Note stints? :g  )

I don't think Zev sleeps, except perhaps on international plane flights! He is the president of Resonance, he is now working for Blue Note and he's done some excellent work for Verve. For his sake I hope he can slow down a little. . . no, he needs to keep up the great work.

I'm definitely in for this set.

Anybody got a set list?

Did Kuhn contribute anything to the band's book, or is this likely standards and such?

Or maybe quartet versions of some of the things from Focus?

Was Kuhn with Getz before or after he was with Coltrane? I'm thinking after?

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

When is Zev announcing some Blue Note archival things?

Exactly my very thought.  Those Larry Young Paris ORTF recordings w/ Woody Shaw were just about the bee's knees -- and just as important (imho) as any previously unreleased historical recordings in the last 10-15 years.  What I'm REALLY hoping for is some previously unreleased live Joe Henderson, that isn't just with the Wynton Kelly trio.  Or some live Lee Morgan, with a piano that isn't half out of tune.

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Those Larry Young Paris ORTF recordings w/ Woody Shaw were just about the bee's knees -- and just as important (imho) as any previously unreleased historical recordings in the last 10-15 years.  

Agreed. they are stunning!

So, they are going to issue new CDs. Good.

Now, let's have the remaining unissued Gil Evans tracks recorded for Verve in the 60s. The ones I know about are a large group version of "Punjab" and a quartet version with Gil on piano and Tony Studd (bass trombone), Paul Chambers and Clifford Jarvis (drums). They could include the other two quartet items, "Cheryl" and "Ah Moore", which were issued on vinyl in 1973 - I've had those since the LP came out. There is nothing that could hurt Gil's reputation (of course).

Ken Druker has yet to issue the two J. J. 45 tracks that I sent him last year. A new remastering of "Proof Positive" is overdue, to replace the 1994 CD, which doesn't have the 45 tracks ("Amen" and "Across The Karoo).

3 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Now, let's have the remaining unissued Gil Evans tracks recorded for Verve in the 60s. The ones I know about are a large group version of "Punjab" and a quartet version with Gil on piano and Tony Studd (bass trombone), Paul Chambers and Clifford Jarvis (drums). They could include the other two quartet items, "Cheryl" and "Ah Moore", which were issued on vinyl in 1973 - I've had those since the LP came out. There is nothing that could hurt Gil's reputation (of course).

Didn't Gil ask that the quartet sids not be released. (I have to admit I have them.) 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Didn't Gil ask that the quartet sids not be released. (I have to admit I have them.) 

Can anyone find streaming sources on those Gil quartet sides?  I'm curious to hear them.

I looked on Youtube some time ago, and came up snake-eyes -- but didn't dig anywhere else.

Just checked and found this one on my shelf.

Stan Getz Quartet at Birdland 1961 -  Fresh Sound FSR - CD- 741

with Steve Kuhn, Jimmy Garrison, Roy Haynes - November 11 & 18, 1961

Airegin, Wildwood, Where Do You Go, Autumn Leaves, Jordu, When The Sun Comes Out, Yesterdays Gardenias, Woody'n You, Jumping' With Symphony Sid.

This is only a few days apart from the  new recording being issued. Many of the same tunes here on this  single CD on Fresh Sound.

• 3 months later...

Oh wow, Kuhn, after he had left Trane (and I guess was still a bit bruised by being dropped), plays Impressions, which Getz announces as "so what"...November 1961, same month as Coltrane recorded this at Birdland, but not released until a year + later...Roy was already subbing for Elvin by then, right?

Wow, the goo is still on the history, almost 60 years later.

Kuhn's fine in his own way, but that thing was not gonna work with Trane, no way. But with Roy, yeah, that works.

I heard Kuhn with Coltrane (and Steve Davis and Pete LaRoca) at the Sutherland Lounge in Chicago in probably1960 ... can't be sure exactly when but it was before "My Favorite Things" came out because when they played "MFT" the thought of Coltrane playing that tune was totally new to me -- also it took me a while to register that he was playing a soprano sax; pretty much no one else played that horn at the time, other than Steve Lacy. As I think I've mentioned before, the Ellington band was staying at the Sutherland, and between sets Johnny Hodges, Trane's ex-boss and a great soprano soloist until he stopped playing the instrument in the early '40s, came over to Trane, and they sat there at the bar passing the horn back and forth, no doubt discussing its virtues and vicissitudes. Getting back to Kuhn, my memory is that he sounded just fine with the band, as did LaRoca.

On 5/4/2019 at 11:31 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

is Zev Feldman the new Michael Cuscana.  I liked the old one just fine but I'll work it what there is to work with.  Hes not related to Victor, right.  Yea tell him to release stuff!

No.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:41 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Exactly my very thought.  Those Larry Young Paris ORTF recordings w/ Woody Shaw were just about the bee's knees -- and just as important (imho) as any previously unreleased historical recordings in the last 10-15 years.  What I'm REALLY hoping for is some previously unreleased live Joe Henderson, that isn't just with the Wynton Kelly trio.  Or some live Lee Morgan, with a piano that isn't half out of tune.

The Lee Morgan tapes are AWOL. Don't get me started.

Thanks for that reminiscence, Larry. That is a precious report. I have read about that 1960 lineup, but no witnesses (that I have come across) have written about it before. 

Trane was very fussy about his group, though one can't question his eventual choice of McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones. I like all three of his quartet bassists: Steve Davis, Reggie Workman and Jimmy. Steve is on the October 1960 Atlantic dates, where the compositions require him to play a lot of vamps.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh wow, Kuhn, after he had left Trane (and I guess was still a bit bruised by being dropped),

Why do you assume this was of much importance to Kuhn at all? Was working for Trane as a pianist in 1960 supposed to be a dream job and career-defining experience for everybody?   

Edited by Д.Д.