Stan Kenton at Hollywood Bowl 6/12/1948

Larry Kart

Glancing through Michael Sparke's "Stan Kenton, This Is an Orchestra!" (U. of North Texas Press), I noticed FWIW that the above mentioned concert, with the Kenton orchestra as the sole attraction, drew 15,000 and grossed $26,000 -- roughly $280,000 in today's dollars. Further, if those sums suggest that tickets for that concert were less than $2 each, tickets for a Hollywood Bowl concert in 2019, depending on the act, can range from $20 to $160 each. Thus the dollar equivalent in 2019 to the Kenton take in 1948 might need to be adjust upwards significantly.

61BLpTFICrL._SY355_.jpg

Three selections were included on The Kenton Era - "Interlude", "Machito", and "Elegy For Alto". Recording balances are at times off just a bit, but the band freaking kills. The trombone section in particular is all-in gonzo. And that "MAchito" is just tooooooo fucking good. If those were the only three Kenton cuts I'd ever heard, I could easily believe all the hype. Of course, they're not, and of course I can't. but still...

Looks like you can also hear the whole concert here:

http://allthingskenton.com/table_of_contents/adventures/progressive-jazz/hollywood-bowl/

I listened to most of this at work the other day.  (I skipped only the vocal numbers, because it's hard for me to write and edit with lyrics in the background.)  I thought the miking and balances were surprisingly good - I'm guessing it was challenge to mix sound for Kenton even under the best of circumstances.  

Amazing to think there was a time not too long ago when this kind of music could pack the Hollywood Bowl.  How times have changed.  

I think like most listeners, I find Kenton's music to be all over the map, but this was a really strong era.  Especially love the Pete Rugolo charts.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

There's a lot of bebop in this presentation, although it's never presented as such...Kenton would never admit to following anybody or anything...that's one of his , uh...."quirks" that could get in the way of enjoying the musics that were made with his name on them. June Christy scatting "How High The Moon" in 1948 on "A Concert Of Progressive Jazz"? Hmmmm...

"Elegy For Alto" is a really neat piece though, as is "Interlude".

• 10 months later...
On 4.5.2019 at 8:09 PM, Larry Kart said:

Glancing through Michael Sparke's "Stan Kenton, This Is an Orchestra!" (U. of North Texas Press), I noticed FWIW that the above mentioned concert, with the Kenton orchestra as the sole attraction, drew 15,000 and grossed $26,000 -- roughly $280,000 in today's dollars. Further, if those sums suggest that tickets for that concert were less than $2 each, tickets for a Hollywood Bowl concert in 2019, depending on the act, can range from $20 to $160 each. Thus the dollar equivalent in 2019 to the Kenton take in 1948 might need to be adjust upwards significantly.

38063743gy.jpg

38063744fg.jpg

38063745lr.jpg